Note to New Members ×

First time carver in Utah

Sultan Guy

Carver brethren-

I will be in Utah for 5-6 days in mid-late February and am wondering which resort I should plan to stay at.

Ideal would have some decent cross-country nearby for my wife, ski in/out access to lifts, great carving, and reasonably priced for a condo.

Suggestions please!

Hi Andy,

PCMR and Canyons are now combined into a single resort which is just called "Park City".  Carving at PCMR is decent, but the runs at Canyons are somewhat less carve-friendly.  There are condos near both base areas, although I don't know about pricing.  Park City is quite crowded on weekends.  Deer Valley and Alta don't allow boards, so those are out. 

On the west side of the mountains you have Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude.  I don't know anything about lodging at those places.  Maybe Ron (digger jr) will chime in.  These resorts are convenient to Salt Lake City.

The other choices are Snowbasin and Powder Mountain to the north a bit.  These two are further out, closer to Ogden.  If there aren't any ski-in/out places, you might be able to find a nice condo in Eden.

Or you could come to Big Sky.

Hey Andy,

Solitude is my home resort, so I know it best. Condos are not ski in or out, but are a 10 min walk at most from the base village condo complex to the nearest lift.

Cross country is also right there. It's not a large CC area, but it is really pretty and nice.

Carving is usually great. Solitude is usually the least crowded and grooming is usually stellar.

Pow can be great also, but it is usually busy then.

Not sure how much condos are or which ones are best.

Now that Deer Valley is the new owner I would think food and services will be excellent.

It's pretty quiet at night, Park City has a lot more going on at night, but there is also lots to do in Salt Lake, which is 30 - 45 min away

Ron

Where in Utah?   How about the top and the bottom?  I just took my boys down to Brian Head just because I hadn't been there in a while and thought it was great.  No where near the other places mentioned though but it is in Utah.  You two can check out Zion NP while there too.  Quite a few condos right there at the place.  At the other end of the state is a place that, In my opinion, is best kept secret in Utah and that  is Beaver Mountain.  That place is great!  But....no place to stay.  If driving there from Logan each day is an option then it would meet all of your needs.  Both of these are quiet places and won't have the party atmosphere you would have if you stayed at Snowbird or one like it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...