Note to New Members ×

The past couple years a new breed of collector has emerged,  as a result of a online consortium of riders looking for their glory days.   I have been expecting this for some 20+ years and it is building steam big time.   Recent articles are feeding the phenomenon and it is with mixed emotions that I participate to a small degree.    It is pushing me to get back to rebuilding some of my sites and sharing the history as best I can with the small amount of spare time.  

BOL has a incredible membership of early snowboarding pioneers and I know that both young and old love to see the boards that came before snowboarding became the norm.  

I want to share with those not specifically searching for this particular information a few recent articles that sum it up.  

Bryan  

Article about VST " Vintage Snowboard Trader " on Face Book. 

A local rider / friend that is deeply involved. 

I posted a Burton Performer 85 on the VST site this morning. 

Sold in about 10 minutes.  You will not be able to view it if you 

are not a member.  Sorry. 

Side note:  Over the past year we have seen some spill over from VST to BOL.  Riders looking to sell their alpine boards have learned we have an appetite for them and they can make a few bucks on boards they see as useless.   I have made a few mentions of it and I have been looking for alternatives.   Look for updates on this topic soon.  

post-158-0-59913900-1435351989_thumb.jpg

One of the great things about being an aging snowboarder is having the memories of lost days. The urge to remember and be reminded of past experiences is the basis for collecting, hordeing, and brandishing. What is past is present. I'm echoing others sentiments here but, the point is to provide a counterpoint to the collective: snowboards are a commodity. Like bacon, cheese, bread,  or wine, they have a 'shelf-life' of utility and then they are spent. Sure, the shelf-life is a bit longer than bacon or cheese but, it is still evident that at some point, they are unrideable for a myriad of reasons. I'm simply applying a counterpoint to this conversation. Use it or lose it. Live in the moment and don't try to preserve the past while ignoring the future. Like jazz or dance, it's a delicate balance of timing and usage. Do it when you are young and can bounce. To end, I still think it's cool to collect that which reminds us of the past. And the future. 

Mark

Bryan I hope to view your Game of Boards in the near future. Regards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...