Note to New Members ×

Brother from another mother :)

www.oldsnowboards.com

Skateboard collector in NYC.  

Love the way after his girlfriend speaks , he doesn't say a WORD!! 

Wise man!!  

The laugh in the opening seconds really tells the story :)  
That same laugh happens IN my head frequently.  Hopefully it doesn't come out much. 

https://youtu.be/ou9cg_DDyC4

Yes, I tend to avoid the fan fare,  it can bring unwanted attention.   I do love to share with good friends and will continue to look for options to share with the public in the future.   Currently I have NO interest in a owning a large snowboard shop or restaurant.   A museum does not pass the pencil test yet.  Risking a collection in a location I do not control is still not worth it.   Insurance is the primary consideration and have yet to find a business even willing to pay that cost.   I have heard allot of ideas and have researched most of the common concepts,  currently most are romantic visions with little viability.  I am open to the ideas , just know I have been pondering these thoughts for many years.  

Public displays:

Snowboard shop.

Restaurant 

Museum

Traveling Display 

Display trailer

Temporary art type displays in a business.

Large business sponsor.

If you care to calculate the insurance for the collection , 

Fire, theft etc use approx 100K min for 100 high end boards. 

"Personal" insurance is much less than "Unattended storage" or second party facilities.  As much as 3 to 10 times as much. 

Bryan

Bryan, you should write a book or something. You told me so many cool stories about the various boards' history when I was over many years ago, the world needs to know that stuff!

With the ease of self-publishing today, you don't need to sell thousands of copies to recoup your printing costs or time.

• Like 1

Hey Corey, funny , I was recently visited by another BOL member that said something very similar.   My Dad and Brother are publishing some historical writings currently.   The last good book on the history of snowboarding was quite a while back.  Not sure I have the patience or skills to attempt this.  Oh, and a neighbor recently told me that his finance book is a number one seller and he quit his job to write full time.   He is certainly not getting rich yet but I can tell that being at home and with his family has really helped his outlook.  He and his wife went through some tough financial times and found their way out by applying simple , sound methods.  Evidently folks really like having a good road map to do the same.   Write what you know about for sure.  Bryan 

I worked with a technician in a field job that wrote books on the side, a couple hours a night. We had a nice chat about it. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he read other people's self-help books, combined them, and released his own.

I thought that was a little crazy. He then said he made about as much money doing that as he did working as an upper-level diesel technician in California. My jaw hit the floor.