Note to New Members ×

First day on an alpine snowboard

philistine

Friday was my first day riding an alpine board and it kicked my ass, and my ankles, and my shins.. mostly my shins... I'm not sure if my boots were too tight or too loose but during part of the day when I was flexing my legs and ankles it seemed as though the boot was digging into my shins.

Thinking about it now, I'm pretty sure it was because my boot wasn't tight enough.

Cool, you just diagnosed you first problem (on your own) !

Welcome to 'many' hours of thinking, trying to figure out how something that looks so graceful, can be so confusing!

Seriously, if it weren't for this forum and a couple of others, I probably would have given up before now. If you are like me, it may be tougher than anticipated, but everyone you meet will be more than willing to help.

GOOD LUCK !!

Philistine

Snug em up. Ride through the pain because it will eventually disappear. This is my first season in hards and I experienced that pain as well. By Day 5 or 6 it should be gone. the thigh pain is what I had the most trouble with b/c hards make you work harder than softies.

I will never go back to softies after the last month I have had in hardboots. As with most any new sport, pain will be experience along the learning curve. Hang in there, you will not regret it.

If you can ride with someone, do so. It has helped me tremendously (thanks Jesse). Before you know it, girls will be whistling at you from the lift and throwing beads (whatever that means).

Have fun and keep at it.

Greg

I know sometimes it's hard to justify paying money to ride with someone, but I know for me, I ALWAYS ride much better when I'm with people who are better than me!!!! :) It doesn't seem like there are many entries yet, but if I were you, I'd check out the instructor list and see about getting a lesson. Someone who's been riding in hard boots a long time might be able to help you get over some of those mistakes that we all make early on. You in Denver? I know there are quite a few instructors listed in Colorado.... might be worth checking out. Lowell Hart is listed on there, I think.... He was an examiner back in the east when I took my certification exam in '95. Nice guy.... and a great teacher.

Hey Chubz.... where do you ride? I used to live in the Poconos and I taught at Shawnee and Camelback. Now I'm in Montana, but the way our winter has been going here, I almost wish I was back in PA again! (Ok, maybe not.... I guess I'm exaggerating.... even a crappy winter here is better than a good winter in the Poconos!!!)

Kathy

man...bein in denver youre STOKED. there are rippers ALL around you. summit county, vail, steamboat, and dont forget BOLA in boulder!!!

Ive never had shin bang, but I get my own share of aches and pains, and they usually do go away by mid day.

definitely try to hook a lesson or just find a way to ride with some experts. Id bet that if you got ahold of the Bomber crew you could tag along on trip to summit county.

most of all dont forget its about fun!

yeah I have seen some extremely graceful carvers out there.

Bola sold me my boots and board. He also invited me to go riding with him someday, so maybe I will take him up on that.

A couple months ago I checked out the list of teachers in Colorado and I'll do that again.

By the way, what exactly is the "bomber crew"?

Matt,

It would be a pleasure to ride with you however I am only a student and so I had to take up Wells Fargo on their student discount deal for winterpark & copper season passes. I want to go to some other resorts but after scraping together money for a hardboot setup I'm not sure I can swing any non-pass days. But if I can I will give you a call.

If you are ever thinking about going to Copper for some reason I will gladly join you.