Note to New Members ×

Get your stuff back? Proof of ownership

www.oldsnowboards.com

Could be good for things like bike components. There has been a lot of bike theft locally where the bikes get parted out, and victims can't identify their cranks etc. Wonder what the reader is like, and how does LE know to scan a particular item? 

Hi Dan.   Yes, in fact it was from a news report on KGW about Portland's bike theft rings and how they would be using this to help id the parts.  

They have stickers , however, I would not want stickers on every part?   They have a smart sticker that even when you remove it , it leaves behind these small dots with the id numbers on them.   I was thinking this would certainly work for our highend snowboards?   post-158-0-61461400-1427303911_thumb.pngpost-158-0-69870300-1427303937_thumb.png 

I would think that some sort of standardized, chip-based tech integrated in during manufacture would be adopted by industries that produce relatively high cost products that are theft prone.  People do it with their pets and now LE/Animal Control scan critters as a matter of course.

Dan's post got me thinking about this.

I would think that some sort of standardized, chip-based tech integrated in during manufacture would be adopted by industries that produce relatively high cost products that are theft prone.  People do it with their pets and now LE/Animal Control scan critters as a matter of course.

Dan's post got me thinking about this.

That is a great idea. Wikipedia says those chips are the size of a grain of rice...seems like something that could be incorporated into a snowboard during layup, right? Then add a notice on the topsheet "This board incorporates a permanent ID chip registered to the original purchaser and scannable by law enforcement."

Any builders out there? Would it be viable to add something like this during construction? 

Hi Dan.   Yes, in fact it was from a news report on KGW about Portland's bike theft rings and how they would be using this to help id the parts.  

They have stickers , however, I would not want stickers on every part?   They have a smart sticker that even when you remove it , it leaves behind these small dots with the id numbers on them.   I was thinking this would certainly work for our highend snowboards? 

Ha, I didn't realize that came from KGW. That news report has been discussed on the local biking websites, but I didn't realize it specifically mentioned this product. 

• 5 weeks later...