Note to New Members ×

Ride difference between Catek SI/Bomber SI?

Daneille

Guest Randy S.

I've ridden both. Performance-wise, they're both great. The option of multible elastomer rings for the TDs probably gives you a bit more cushion underfoot. I've found I really like the soft e-rings (yellow) over the others. I don't have any flat disks, or I'd let you try mine (since I can't ride them again before May).

Are you coming over to Squaw this weekend to watch the Race to the Cup? Look for me. I'll be the guy on crutches watching the races. I even got little studded caps for my crutches so I don't slip. I'll try to remember to bring a radio and tune it to Radio Freecarve 5/12.

daneille

another thing to consider...MY opinion...is elegance of design

the cateks, simply by using them, get fcked up. the place where the cant/lift screws hit the mounting plate gets all torn up from the screws themselves.

personally didnt like that about them

PLUS...the SOFT ring on the TD2 would most likely be your choice...I dont think theres a comparison on the cateks

you might want to still get maybe one 3* disk if you get TD2 so you can get some heel or toe lift?

... and let me first say that both bindings absolutely rock. I wound up selling my pair of Cateks and buying a 2nd TD2 SI, for a couple of reasons:

1) Smoother ride, with the soft e-rings. See notes below.

2) Easier to take apart and put together. More boards than

bindings, so you know the deal!

With regards to the smoother ride - how much I notice depends greatly on which board I'm on. The Catek SI and TD SI felt *identical* on my Coiler Superboard construction, which is super damp. On my Donek Axis 172, which is not very damp, the difference is night and day, my knees got rattled a bit with the Cateks but not the TD2s, I noticed I could last a few more runs every day with the TD2s.

What size are your boots? I've got 25's and can change angles or remove the top plates on my TD2s without having to unscrew the toe and heel blocks. My wife has 23's, and she has to undo the toe and heel blocks to get the top plates off the disks which is a total pain. So if you are sub-25, you might actually fiund the Cateks less of a pain to move from board to board (or even the tops from disc to disc, if you like 2nd board kits)

If you ride flat then IMHO you're not using the best feature of the Catek so take advantage of the best features of the TD2!

Hope that helps!

Originally posted by Mike T

[b

What size are your boots? I've got 25's and can change angles or remove the top plates on my TD2s without having to unscrew the toe and heel blocks. My wife has 23's, and she has to undo the toe and heel blocks to get the top plates off the disks which is a total pain. So if you are sub-25, you might actually fiund the Cateks less of a pain to move from board to board (or even the tops from disc to disc, if you like 2nd board kits)

If you ride flat then IMHO you're not using the best feature of the Catek so take advantage of the best features of the TD2!

Hope that helps! [/b]

I just discovered the toe/heel block issue when setting up my TD2 Step-Ins last week (I have size 24 boots). I didn't have this issue with the Cateks (standards) I borrowed before. I only have 1 alpine board, so I don't think it will be that much of a problem (more so that I have two sets of boots with one set of heels, and one pair has rusted/semi-stripped screws!). I'm going to Randy's tonight to try and have them drilled out (and I'll probably be putting up a pair of AF600 size 24s for sale if anyone wants them).

Anyways, the TD2 Step-Ins with yellow where super smooth... but there were on top of my Madd 170, which is also extremely damp... more so than my Donek Incline freeride board and Catek Freeride strap bindings (I didn't expect that).

Once again you guys come through with the kind of information I was hoping for. Thanks a bunch.

you might want to still get maybe one 3* disk if you get TD2 so you can get some heel or toe lift?

I am really digging riding flat :D I also dig wider boards and rotation style turns :D

Daneille