Note to New Members ×

Another snowboarder has been ENLIGHTENED!

SWriverstone

Originally posted by Jon Dahl

If not, let me know. I've got two that are a little buggered up from me elongating the slots for my splitboard setup. Ended up taking the toe/heel pieces off and mounting them direct so I've got no use for the disks, and would just mail one to you no charge.

Hi Jon...that would be great if you could send one or two of those disks! Email me directly and I'll send my address.

Thanks,

Scott

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

February 7 Report: The Human Spirograph!

Finally! Had an AWESOME night at Whitetail! I got there around 7pm...and there were about 20-30 cars in the whole lot---that was IT! Totally empty all night---I did so many laps on SnowPark I lost count (12-15, I think).

Conditions were, for me, GREAT: a little wet, and soft---that stuff held an edge like glue! Not a trace of ice or hard stuff anywhere (thanks to the few 50-degree days we've had).

The great conditions and empty slope made for a breakthrough night for me. I think tonight, I really felt what carving is all about! I was a "human spirograph" on that slope, and laid down so many overlapping, circular trenches that I just laughed riding back up on the lift looking at 'em. <grin>

The snow held my edge so well that I was really able to work on angulation. Made some big progress there and my last several runs were just a joy---I was able to lay it pretty far over on the turns. The absence of anyone else on the slope made it possible for me to actually plan my line down the mountain (where all my turns would be) to maximize speed to the bottom.

Before leaving I made myself a "cheat sheet" with lots of tips from the Technique page at alpinecarving.com. On the way back up I'd take it out and read it through.

There were a few thrilling moments---all on my heelside---where I'd gotten so far over on a hard-driving turn that I crossed the line---I was going DOWN! But at that very instant I'd just crank my toes up a couple degrees (tipping the board up even more and tightening my circle) and presto! My butt just held about a foot over the snow and I stayed up! WOOHOO!

I kept hearing Bryan Sutherland in my mind saying COMMIT to those turns! And Bryan, I committed bigtime tonight! :)

I also made a mental connection on angulation. It turns out that positioning my body that way (angling away from the inside of the turn, getting over the carving edge) is nearly identical to the technique used in doing turns through upstream gates in whitewater slalom---slalom boats have sharp edges, and you actually lean to the outside of the turn---which involves the very same compressing of one side of your torso while expanding the other. So it's a really natural motion for me.

I was hooked on carving before...but I'm REALLY hooked now! <silly grin> And I don't even have carving gear yet. (If it's even more fun in hard gear, I'm gonna need to take downers after doing it...) I'm really hoping the transition won't be too tough. I'm riding F45/R45 on my freeride board and it feels fine.

Can't WAIT for that carving gear to arrive later this week!

Scott

FIRST NIGHT ON CARVING GEAR!!!

February 12 Report: just got back from Whitetail and my first-ever experience on carving gear. I'm happy to report that the transition went very smoothly! I did two runs down the bunny slope and felt fine, so headed for the bigger hill (SnowPark). Had no problems at all my first run---never fell, maintained moderate speed. WOOHOO!!!

The hard gear definitely felt different...but not nearly as different as I was expecting. I think a big part of the smooth transition was because I've already been riding at F45/R45 on my soft gear for weeks. I'd also already been working on initiating turns with my knees/hips (rotating into the turn, etc.). On my first run down the bigger hill, I just relaxed and did exactly what I've been doing on my freeride board...and it worked great!

Now, in case anyone thinks I'm doing great, I must admit that I wasn't really carving. I wasn't sideslipping or skidding much...and I was doing nice round turns...but I wasn't even coming close to really cranking up my edge. Hardly any Gs felt tonight. But that was okay---tonight was just my night to get comfortable on the alpine board and hard boots, and just gain the confidence that comes from getting down the mountain with reasonable grace and control. It was also pretty crowded at first, so I was definitely in speed-check mode (and had to abort some turns due to straight-downhillers).

I really noticed the increased speed of the the carving board (a Niedecker Extreme Race GS 164). And yes, I definitely noticed that every little movement of my body and legs was transmitted directly to the board.

Once, I experienced a brief flash of the power of a carving board---one of those instances where I was on a heelside turn, and leaned back too far without enough speed. I went past the point of no return (and knew for sure my butt was going down)...and I cranked the board up on edge a bit more, and I was SHOCKED at how the board just bit into the slope and ROCKETED around a tight arc, and POP! Suddenly I was upright again! It sort of took my breath away for a couple seconds! :)

The only drag of the night was getting off the lift---I pretty much sucked at that in my carving gear. I quickly noticed that a hard boot on the topsheet is slick as ice, and my lift exits were less than graceful (never fell, though).

Amusingly, the only person all night who knew what I was doing and commented on it was a 10-year-old kid! He looked at me in the lift line and said "Whoa, cool board! That's an alpine board isn't it?" I was amazed, and almost said "DING-DING! That's right! You win the prize kid! Here's $5!"

Holly followed behind me on my last of 8 runs, watching to see what I was doing. She pointed out that I was barely leaving any trenches on my toeside runs and the board was pretty flat. I knew that but it was good to have it pointed out---definitely something to work on. (My heelside turns are much better than toeside! Is that normal?)

All in all it was a blast, and I can't wait to get out again. I think in the next outing I'll be confident enough to really start committing to the turns more and getting it up on edge. Many thanks to Bryan Sutherland for the great gear, and thanks to Mark Brown for lending me some bindings...and thanks to Jon Dahl for sending me a spare SnowPro disk!

Scott

first_night.jpg

Thanks Scott for the Most Excellent" news. Dude you are an official "Hardbooter" now!!. Sounds like you made the transition much easier than most!! Congratulations. Keep of the good work. Love to hear how you progress. If you have some avid alpine riders in the area try to get near them to watch and learn. They can save you allot of time and expedite your learning. Really happy to hear you are on your way!! Cudos!! Bryan

PS. I love the Dakine "Spike" pad. Serious grip and cleans the snow off well. Simple and functional. About 10$ at snowboard stores or online.

I'm a big fan of the Stomp brand Diamond Plate stomp Pad it sheds snow/ice well and holds you foot well even full of snow Though I to am in the learning to mount/dismount the lift gracefully even after in hardboots after 2 seasons...sometimes I'm smooth as can be then the next time I'll miss step and look like a Keystone Cop. Though I have finally got clipping my rear foot in while standing down...well most of the time anyway japanese resorts that I have been to have convenient flat areas with a drop off next to all the lift unloading areas.

Scott, these stories are great. I'm psyched you are learning from everyone here and are having fun. It sounds like you're railing some good carves on your familiar soft gear, but you're not quite there on the hard gear yet, yes? If so, you would probably benefit from getting back to basics with The Norm. Before long, your butt will only be a few inches off the ground! :D

Originally posted by D-Sub

scott

when you mounted the bindings, did you measure the center of the effective edge and then mount each binding equidistant from that center?

Uhhh....no. Bryan marked a suspicious insert as "not to use," so...I decided I wanted a 20" stance width, and it appeared that to get 20" there was only one combination of inserts I could use. But I realize there is some play from the slots in the metal disks, so I should check positioning against the effective edge. (I did read Jack's article!)

Does this make a big difference? Or is it just a good place to start?

Scott

Ooops. Hey Scott. I am staying at Joel's house. didn't realize I was still logged in under his id. My Mistake. This was my comment not Joel's.

Congratulations SCOTT!!! Awesome Report

Thanks Scott for the Most Excellent" news. Dude you are an official "Hardbooter" now!!. Sounds like you made the transition much easier than most!! Congratulations. Keep of the good work. Love to hear how you progress. If you have some avid alpine riders in the area try to get near them to watch and learn. They can save you allot of time and expedite your learning. Really happy to hear you are on your way!! Cudos!! Bryan

PS. Check the hole. Just make sure it is sound before using it.

Might run and thread chaser CAREFULLY in it to check first.

20" is probably in your range as a pretty big guy!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

Keep them photos coming!!!

Looking good!!

Originally posted by kinpa

Hey Scott! I love the picture you posted. Now all you need is to get a cool helmet and then you'll be good to go!

LOL---yeah, that's exactly what I told Holly...I can't REALLY be cool 'til I get a helmet. So far, I honestly don't think I've been raging at speeds high enough to warrant one...but I still plan to get one.

Scott

Scott.... you don't need to be going fast to make use of a good helmet.... I was on a quad lift once in the middle. As I stood up to get off the lift, the people on either side started comming in around me. I really had nowhere to go. Fell back and even with a helmet on I was a little slow getting up. How embarrassing...

Also, just a few weeks ago I was standing behind a guy to get on a lift on the beginner hill. As he was fumbling for his ticket, his ski pole came right my way. Another good use for a helmet!

I'm sure you've read about those near crashes on here. Most of the time it isn't what you are doing, but also what others are doing.

Feb. 15 and 17 Reports...

I continue to get more comfortable on my carving gear, and every time I use it, I love it even more!

Went to Whitetail this past Tuesday night. It was a 50-degree night, and the snow was pretty soft (better than ice though). On my first lift ride up, I saw some serious trenches that had obviously been laid down by someone who knew how to carve. A couple runs later, a guy came up to me at the top and asked how long I'd been on plates. His name is Rob Trainum (sp?) and though he was carving on his freeride board that night, he has hard gear too and has spent time carving in Colorado.

We struck up a conversation and ended up riding together the rest of the night. Rob was definitely better than me---he was really carving it up on his freeride board! Cool to watch. We did around 10 runs before calling it a night.

---

Drove to Whitetail this morning half-expecting it to be icy. When I arrived just past 8:30, it was snowing heavily! That was a good sign. Then I saw a couple of tour buses full of kids pull up and disgorge their passengers...that was a bad sign. Thankfully, they all went straight to the bunny slope and stayed there all morning.

I was on the lift just before 9am, and SnowPark was groomed and almost empty. Even better, there was anywhere from 1-3" of new powder covering the slope (probably an inch of that was natural). Woohoo! It was beautiful as the snow fell...very peaceful...even heard the wind whistling around the lift cables (a beautiful, eerie sound...)

I did a total of 15 runs, an average of about 5 per hour between 9am and noon. From 9-11, SnowPark was wonderfully empty and I was really able to open it up. After 11, more people started showing up and by noon it was almost crowded (which was when I split).

I swear I love the carving gear more every time I use it! I'm gradually gaining more confidence in my board's edge-holding ability, and am pushing the turns harder (and getting more laid-over!). In fact, I had a couple of high-speed blow-outs on my heelside (just butt slams), so I think I was definitely pushing it.

Looking at my trenches, I clearly saw what Chunae (another local carver) pointed out, which is that I wasn't really getting the board on edge early enough in the turns---instead, I've been entering the turns flatter (which results in tail washout) and then getting on edge. (My trenches weren't getting clean and narrow 'til halfway through the turn.) I worked on this today, focusing on really cranking the board as high as I could at the beginning of the turn...then feeling the edge take hold before accelerating into the deepest part of the turn. It made a difference!

I also spent a lot of time going back uphill at the ends of my turns---which is a good thing, I think. Except when I rotated back downhill to change edges, and the board just kept going uphill---which happened once today and promptly resulted in a face plant! :)

I'm planning to have a lesson with Phil at RoundTop next week, so I'm looking forward to that. Meanwhile, I'll be out there again this weekend...

Scott

February 21 Report...

Holly and I just got back from a great, marathon day of carving at Whitetail. We went yesterday too, but the crowds were insane and I ended up bailing on my hardboots and going to my freeride board. It was interesting to feel the soft gear again after a few outings in the hardboots. My soft boots felt like big, mushy tennis shoes! :) My freeride board felt a lot softer and more noodly too (not surprising I guess). I didn't feel like I could trust it nearly as much on turns.

Today was VERY different---crowds were lighter (no lift lines!). We arrived around 1pm. I brought only my hardboots today, as I was determined to make up for yesterday. Holly is learning fast (yeah!) and is definitely ready for a carving board too. She cranked her soft bindings up to F50/R39 and was doing fine, laying down some nice trenches! She's taken the first step and bought a pair of Deeluxe Suzukas (new) for $280---they were a leftover/clearance pair from http://www.surftheearthsnowboards.com/

The snow was soft today, which was fine as it held an edge well and was plenty fast enough for us. I took a nice step up and started doing the steep blues on my carving gear. I found the steeper slopes were actually easier on my carving setup than my freeride gear! It was nice to get on the bigger slope as it's got a high-speed detachable quad.

I couldn't help notice how much more of a workout it was on the steeper slopes. The snow was pretty chopped up with lots of little piles everywhere, so that took some getting used to. I found that sitting in the back seat on turns, I was getting a lot of chatter and bouncing around at the nose (which sometimes caused me to lose my edge and blow out). Shifting my weight forward seemed to help keep the leading edge down and slice through the junk.

Had one blowout that must have entertained the lift riders---I slid about 30-40 yards down the slope headfirst on my back. I kept wondering when I was gonna stop, and when I didn't, started dragging the toe of my board. Pretty funny...

Holly and I had some amusing debates on the lift over who made which trenches. ("That's me! No, wait---I wasn't that far over---must be you.") On one ride we ran into a nice couple on tele skis and rode up with them---that was definitely the "Fringe Chair!" :) 2 telemarkers and 2 carvers.

I feel like I'm really getting it on my heelside, but my toeside needs work. I had some heelside turns that felt downright raging! I was wholly committed and trusting in Gs to keep me off the snow---what a blast! Holly is just the opposite (even though we're both goofy)---she gets her toeside way up on edge, but curses over her heelside. I'm gonna have a lesson with Phil at RoundTop this week, so I'm sure he'll help me out.

Holly and I carved our faces off, probably 25 runs in 5 hours. It was a blast. We've been planning a trip down to Snowshoe the first week of March...but now we're thinking we'd like to go to the ECES at Okemo. Hopefully we can make that happen (need to find a place to stay!).

As we walked back to the truck, I reflected on the past few months. It's been pretty awesome. Buying our first gear in October, not even getting to ride it 'til Christmas, discovering carving in January...and now we're slicing and dicing and loving every minute of it! :)

Scott

February 24 Report: My First Lesson!

Took the morning off yesterday to drive up to RoundTop for a lesson with Phil Bowman. Conditions were great when I arrived---no crowds and snow falling! I've decided RoundTop is a great resort for its size (little). It's very mature, they have great grooming, and an excellent instructional staff. I didn't even realize their training center is run by (and named after) '98 Olympic Super-G gold medalist Diann Roffe. I saw Diann out on the slope giving ski carving lessons---very cool! Who says we don't have some kick-a** riders in the Mid-Atlantic? :)

Did a couple warmup runs on the green slope, then met Phil at the bottom of Minuteman (an easy blue). Phil's a great instructor---knowledgable, analytical, and low-key. We rode up and Phil parked halfway down to watch me and look for anything glaring. Thankfully, he didn't find anything terribly wrong.

We then rode up and took our boards off at the top, where Phil began showing me how to properly center my weight and lower my hips by bending at the ankles and knees. It was the beginning of an overhaul in how I think about carving. I'd actually reached a point where I was comfortable in my hardboots on moderate blue slopes...but now I feel like I'm starting over the right way. A good thing!

I've basically been using a "lean with gravity" approach, inclining my body to a degree dictated by how much speed I have. The more speed, the more the incline. I'd also been initiating turns by rotating my torso (not counter-rotating) in the direction of the turn before the board actually turns. Phil pointed out this contributed to my tail skidding at the beginning of turns. (Makes sense!)

So Phil worked with me to eliminate the torso rotation, and initiate turns from the ankles and knees up...by lowering my hips/torso (while staying square to the front of the board), then rocking onto my toes or heel (and, conversely, lifting my toes or my heel) to start the carve. It was definitely a different way to think about turning!

We did some drills that quickly exposed my heelside strengths and toeside weaknesses. I'd been riding a bit too far back, and Phil got me to focus on keeping my weight centered over the board, weight equally distributed under both feet.

Toward the end of our lesson we did a drill that seems simple, but was surprisingly hard for me: starting off pointed straight down the hill, board flat, then gently rocking from toe to heel, carving gentle slaloming turns, while keeping my torso upright and stationary (so the board and your legs just slalom back and forth beneath you). I tried this once on the blue slope and was debris...so we headed to a flatter green where I had a bit more success, but still need to work a lot to achieve the grace and fluidity of motion that Phil displayed doing the exercise.

All in all it was an eye-opening lesson. I'm simultaneously bummed at feeling like I'm starting over...but also glad I'm more on the right track now and eager to work on what I've learned.

What's confusing to me right now is how to integrate what I've learned with what I was already doing? Or...(maybe another way to put it)...was anything I was doing before okay? :) I'm sure that'll become more obvious with time as I work on the new techniques. It's back to the bunny slopes for awhile! But hopefully, with 25-30 days under my belt this season, my progress will be a bit faster than at first.

----

In other news, Holly bought a pair of Deeluxe Suzukas and is waiting delivery on a carving board! She picked up a Rossignol VAS 166...maybe not the best board to learn on, but the price was right and she's a fast learner. Hopefully by this time next week she'll be out on carving gear too!

Scott

Scott.... Did you like doing the "Cross-Under" turns? I think they are a lot of fun especially when you get that rebound from one turn to the next and can really feel the energy of the turn. Also good for those days that you mentioned earlier when their are just to many people on the hill to make big laid out turns. I can do them ok on easy slopes, but if it gets too steep I can't control all the forces that are going on there!

Well, have fun, and don't be too bummed about feeling like you are "starting over." You'll get it... and I hope your season lasts long enough that you can end your first year feeling successful. Well, I take that back.... I think from all the posts you put on here you should feel good about what you've accomplished already.

How big is Holly? I know a lot of people around here are on big boards so I guess a 166 is ok, but I'm 5'2" around 135 lbs and the biggest board I was ever on was a 157, but now I have a 147 and probably wouldn't go much bigger. I guess it all depends on what kind of turns you want to do. I'm happy with smaller turns.

Kathy

Originally posted by kinpa

Scott.... Did you like doing the "Cross-Under" turns? I think they are a lot of fun especially when you get that rebound from one turn to the next and can really feel the energy of the turn.

Is that what those are called? <grin> I think I'd like them---if I could do them! :) But I definitely have to work some more on that...

Well, have fun, and don't be too bummed about feeling like you are "starting over." You'll get it... and I hope your season lasts long enough that you can end your first year feeling successful. Well, I take that back.... I think from all the posts you put on here you should feel good about what you've accomplished already.

Yeah, I feel like I've accomplished a lot. I just hate that it's all got to end for six months!

How big is Holly? I know a lot of people around here are on big boards so I guess a 166 is ok, but I'm 5'2" around 135 lbs and the biggest board I was ever on was a 157, but now I have a 147 and probably wouldn't go much bigger. I guess it all depends on what kind of turns you want to do. I'm happy with smaller turns.

Holly's pretty tall, around 5'10"...so I think this board will be fine for her.

Scott

February 25th Report: Back to Basics

Holly and I went to Whitetail last night---arrived later, around 8pm. It was moderately crowded (but not mobbed), which surprised me. Conditions were "hard packed powder" (meaning bordering on ice, but not ice). SnowPark was almost difficult to ride as it was covered in micro-moguls from a day's worth of snow getting kicked into piles. Alas, we were too late to take advantage of the 6-8" of natural snow they got yesterday.

We did one run on SnowPark, but after my lesson with Phil I just felt like I was doing everything wrong and couldn't focus on technique with all the people on the slope...so we headed for the flat bunny slope, where we pretty much camped out for the next 90 minutes working on technique. Thankfully the bunny slope was mostly empty.

Holly and I did slow-motion run after run, focusing on our positioning (weight equally distributed under both feet), and initiating turns without rotating (which is really new and different for me). I also worked a bit on cross-under turns, with moderate success. Of course carving boards don't always seem eager to turn when you're moving at 5mph...but I think it was still good to have the time to actually contemplate my movements before making them.

New techniques take a while to sink down to the level of your muscles, even if your brain understands them. It took me a good half-dozen runs before I finally began to (sort of) get the hang of initiating turns with my ankles first, then my knees, and finally my hips and torso.

Around 9:30 we went back over to SnowPark (which had cleared out by then) and did a couple more runs. Those were better, because without the crowds I felt like I was using better technique and the additional gravity helped.

It was a strange night after all our scorching down steep-blue Limelight...like boarding on sedatives! But it was all good. (Holly said it was almost meditative!) I joked at one point that it was nice being blissfully ignorant before my lesson. :) But I'm glad I know a little more about technique now...

We're thinking of heading up to RoundTop this morning...hoping it won't be crowded (not sure how it is on a weekend day?).

Scott

Scott, I am really impressed with all you progress!! You have really exceeded anyones expectations with your progress. Remember it was not long ago that you were planning to stay on soft gear till next season? Now you are ripping with hard gear and taking lessons ? Talking techiques?? AWESOME DUDE!!

See you at SES 2005 next year!! You really must be there. Something like a community example of carving spirit!!

PS. If you still have the bindings you bought from me. I met a ripper in SLC that uses them and has a smaller foot. Need to hook him up. I road with him yesterday and he was on a fish that could use some plates. YEP !! He rips on the fish like it was a race board. Anyone needing a teach in SLC , look him up.

Mike= YOU WORE MY OLD ASS OUT DUDE!!

Thanks, Bryan

February 26 Report

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. (And you're right D-Sub---I'm lucky to have found Holly!)

We rode for 6 hours at RoundTop today. It was crowded, but not as crazy as Whitetail gets and the lift lines were short. I wanted to focus more on technique, but with all the bodies flying past me I tended to lapse back into old habits. Still, my toesides felt better, and (at least) I was thinking about things Phil told me.

Had my first major collision today---on one of our last runs I looked uphill before doing a heelside carve---all clear, so I went for it. During my transition back, a skier with headphones on ran into me like a freight train---I did a high-speed face plant and felt this guy and his skis all over me. Thankfully we were both okay, but I was a bit dazed from the impact. Good thing Holly and I bought helmets this morning---just in time for me!

It was a good day though.

Bryan, got your message. I thought Holly wanted those SnowPros...but now she's threatening to buy some step-in TD2s! (Uh-oh...she's gonna outclass me by a mile on the slopes! LOL) I'll email you directly for the info on where to ship 'em.

And yes---we're definitely planning to make next year's SES!

Scott