Note to New Members ×

Whitetail 2014-15

piusthedrcarve

12/12

Once again, it was brutal.  Felt like below zero with gusting winds.  Lifts were stopped for few times due to the gusts.  Slopes were basically turned to ice from 6 pm since we haven't had any new snow nor man-made snow for last few days.  Somehow, I noticed there are few rollers appeared on bottom of Snow Park, which were not easily seen from above.  Upper Angel Drop & Home Run were not too icy.  Didn't get to ride Farside last night. 

It was first day of this season for se7en and took less than 5 runs to get back where he left.  

Are you still going tonight? Let me know. You mentioned you had a board i could try out. If so, i'll bring my hardboots, otherwise i'll just be softbooting it on the eliminator. 

Are you still going tonight? Let me know. You mentioned you had a board i could try out. If so, i'll bring my hardboots, otherwise i'll just be softbooting it on the eliminator. 

Not tonight. Kinda beat up now shoveling and sliding with kids.

Maybe tomorrow if Loudoun and Fairfax County schools are closed. 

2/18

It's been almost 2 months to ride at daytime. After few inches of new snow in cold weather, the condition was awesome. I and son rode 4 hours non-stop, mostly Limelighter and Homerun but hit pretty much every trails.

I expected some lift lines due to many school closing but not at all. Temp. went up only 29 and little breeze helped to maintain the awesome condition. Especially Limelighter and Homerun were.

Brought few decks (SG, Pogo, Madd) in case and rode all one after one to compare. All keeper for sure but Madd surprised me once again. Legs are shot.

• 2 weeks later...

3/6

After close to 8" snow on Wed-Thursday, people wanted to taste last (probably) new snow. Worse than weekend for sure.  In addition, Route 15 (No.VA to Frederick) had 2 accidents in the morning and caused the double the usual 1 hr 45 min. trip to slopes.  

So finally got there around 10:30. Only bottom parking lot were available. Around 11, lift lines were having at least 15 min wait.  At noon, most of blue trails snow were pushed around. I had to stop 4 times on single run on Limelight due to too many people by the time. Since snow were soft pack (too soft for my like),  I went to Exhibition to taste moguls....on a high camber carving deck.  It was Fun Fun.. little scary at first but was able to use the camber as a spring to change direction. 

It was one of those day that 170 free carving deck was felt like 158.  Pogo is an awesome deck.  I brought SG 163 to ride when it gets all chopped and pushed around but didn't even bother to take it out. Only had less than 12 runs over 4 hours but it was worth it. 

Colozeus, if you going tomorrow, be there early.  OR  ride at night. You will probably double or triple your mileage on slopes. 

Edited by piusthedrcarve

3/13

WT announced their closing date to be 3/22 yesterday.  So I was thinking to make a final trip of the season soon. Then, just found out today is Teacher Work day for one of my kids.  So took her to WT.  Arrived there around 9:50 a.m. and it was 38'F.  Snow was surprisingly good since I didn't have any expectation after 4 straight days of 60s.  I only rode on SnowPark and Sidewinder since my kid is 5 and still working on linking turns. One big melt/frozen spot in middle of trail on Snowpark but it got soften around 11.   Then, the condition got really worsen after Noon at 54'F.  Left there at 12:45.

If anyone is looking to ride there, be there for first chair.  You will have 2-3 hours of good time then leave. 

I'm finally accepting today is my last day of the season with WhiteTail.    I may have a chance on end of March (kids' Spring Break) but not optimistic.

So long til next season.