Note to New Members ×

How are conditions at Banff?

skategoat

We've escaped the rain, the snow in the next couple of days might be a bit wet, but it will be snow and not rain.

I'm heading off to Louise this weekend, but conditions at Sunshine have been great all season.

Louise hasn't been as lucky (not as much snow) but it looks as if they're getting dumped on now. I would say by this weekend, they will be rocking, and that is such a great hill when the conditions are good, with tons of terrain so everyone spreads out.

I was at Nakiska last weekend (that's a fun hill for carving, groomed to within an inch of it's life) and that was fine as well - maybe a little icy in some places, but they'll also benefit from a bit of snow today and tomorrow.

I can let you know about the conditions at Louise early next week if you drop me a PM. If you want to come out and ride I might even keep you company, and if you don't mind staying in Calgary, you'd be welcome to crash. Just don't make it next weekend ... unless you want to come on a boarding trip to Kimberley with myself and the other half ...

Sorry to hear about your screwup with Mammoth .... what a total pain in the ass ... but there are some really good Canadian seat sales on at the moment ...:)

Allee:

Thanks for the scoop. Having frequented Intrawest resorts in the past, I've learned not to trust snow reports that are written through marketing goggles.

I'm going to book for the weekend of Jan. 28. Sounds like you won't be there. Too bad. But thanks for the insight. 4 friends are joining me so we'll bag some lodging near the mountain.

What kind of a drive is it from Calgary to Nakiska? Never been.

Henry

Nakiska is the closest mountain to Calgary, we got there from downtown in 1hr 10 min last weekend. From Banff you'll be driving back toward Calgary for about 20 min, and exiting at Kananaskis, Nakiska is about another 15 mins drive from the exit.

If you've never done Nakiska before. for sure give it a try. Just be aware that it's a "first lifter" - as the closest hill to Calgary, it gets all the Mom and Pop and kids that can't be bothered driving into the park. So get on at 9 or earlier if the lifts are on, get some good hard runs in, and go home at 1. Sometimes you'll be lucky - last weekend it was a bit cold and the other half and I ran all over the blues until 1.30, and they were almost deserted.

I don't know if you've been to Banff before? and I don't know what sort of accom you want, but try the Voyager Inn in Banff - cheap and cheerful and full of snow people. There's a special on Expedia for $60 per night. The Ptarmigan is where I usually stay, that's not bad (good restaurant).

Drop me a line Mon, I'll be at Louise on Sun for sure.