Note to New Members ×

starting out - need boots!

evile

Looking for pair of boots to get started on, mens 10.5 (mondo 28? i think...).

The cheaper the better - I will be passing them on to another beginner next season, either because I didn't like alpine (unlikely) or because I'm hooked and spending all my disposable income on new stuff (here we go again).

I'm in MA and could pick up around Boston or any ASC resort this weekend. I'll be in SLC from 2/1-2/5 and could also pick 'em up there.....

thanks!!!!

why not just find some that are "good enough" and you wont pass on?

you should be able to get into a 28, yes, BUT...

instead of 10.5, why dont you measure your feet in CM? then you know your actual mondo size and arent guessing.

stand up with your foot on a piece of paper, and mark a line at your heel and longest toe, then measure that distance in CM. do both feet...should be "close"...

thats your mondo size

mine actually measure about 27.4, but I fit into a 27 boot (even before I had moldable liners) so you might be able to go DOWN a little.

I prefer to wait until I know what I'm doing before I spend a lot of dough on this kind of stuff. In the past I've been stuck with gear that I wouldn't have bought had I known better, but it was just good enough to get by on and therefore I couldn't justify replacing it....I know it's complicated, but it's tough being cheap when you have expensive hobbies.

I'm pretty sure 28 is the way to go, I tried some Indys last night and today I actually tried some Raichle Flexon Comps. 28 worked in both cases.

So, someone hook my up with a cheap pair of size 28 beaters that I can learn on. Otherwise I'm going to end up with a pair of Raichle Flexons that my local shop dusted off this afternoon. I think if I go in around lunchtime tomorrow, I can trade the guy a roast beef sub and a bag of chips...

The raichle flexon comp is actually a great boot for carving. I've been using them for seven years now and like them better than any carving boot that I've tried. They are easy to come by, cheap, and you can usually find a pair in like new condition . If you go to a world cup event you'll still see a few pair along with some other race ski boots. There is a good reason for this. It's called performance. You won't get that kind of performance out of a cheap, or lower level pair of carving boots.

If your feet fit in the raichle flexon I'd go with them. I don't think you'll be disapointed.

Thanks for the tip! I saw those on ebay - 1st guy wants $30 S&H, the 2nd ones sound like they'll be too small, and the 3rd ones are pretty old.

I did manage to find 2 pair of brand new Flexon Comps at the ski shop next to my office. I'm going over there in a little while, if I can get them for next to nothing I'm going to go for it. The guy told me they couldn't *give* these boots away at a ski swap last year.

These things are way stiffer than I expected. I suppose I need to play around with them a bit but from what I've looked at there's no way to loosen them up enough without the use of power tools.

So I've got a pair of brand new 10.5s that I'll sell for $50 plus shipping. Unless someone knows the trick for making them beginner friendly....

If they're the newer ones with the dual density tongues (2 color) they shouldn't be too bad, unless your under 150-160 lbs. The older single density usually only worked well for tubs like me :D

If the flex is close to ok, you can try riding with the top buckle lightly closed. This decouples the tongue & cuff, the ankle strap should still hold your heel well if the boot fits right. You might also spray silicone between the shell & cuff to reduce friction. Another trick is to remove the oval cant doughnut, that'll also ease some friction between cuff & shell.

There are ways to chop the shell & tongue but you'd need to find a boot fitter familiar with 'em. Hope this helps.

Mario

Originally posted by evile

These things are way stiffer than I expected. I suppose I need to play around with them a bit but from what I've looked at there's no way to loosen them up enough without the use of power tools.

So I've got a pair of brand new 10.5s that I'll sell for $50 plus shipping. Unless someone knows the trick for making them beginner friendly....

If I were you I'd keep them! You won't always be a beginer and I doubt that you will find a board that will over power those boots. The amazing thing about those boots is that they flex more than you think and they are nice and even in their flex in other words they just don't bottom out. I weigh 165 and I have no problem with them . I actually learned in them. You recieved some good advice about adjusting them in one of your replies. Some of the simpelest things you can do for now would be to run your top buckes lose and even losen the middle buckle ( a little) and then run a 6 degree cant on your back foot. After a few runs or a few days it wouldn't suprise me if you were cranking those boots tighter and tighter. Remember this a new sport to you and it is all going to feel strange for a while. Have a little faith! Good luck.

Good idea with the cant, I'd say 3 degrees would be better. 6 is overkill, locks up the back knee. One thing I forgot to mention is the forward lean shims on the bottom/back of the cuff. Have a thin one or none at all on the front foot, light to moderate one on the back foot. Allows the hips to rotate towards the heelside to maintain equal pressure on both heels, similar to riding in walk mode with a hardboot. GO RIDE !!!:)

I played around with the boots a bit and I think they'll do. There's a shim in the heel that I removed, also running the buckles loose gives as much flex as I need.

Problem is, on my maiden voyage yesterday the plastic bit on the toe bail of my brand-new Burton Race Plates cracked in half when I went to lock it in. Didn't get a single run, and 1st tracks on Sunday River cordouroy turned into a frustrating 9:00am start on softboots. Got up early for nuttin'. Should have known better than to trust a plastic binding in subzero temps.

I can only think that something was not adjusted properly for that to break. I am pushing 245 and ride hard in subzero weather all the time and have never broken the toe piece. Sorry that you could not carve, but I love my bindings.

Jerry

Have you found a replacement toe piece?

Do you wish to sell your binders?

Let me know - I have 6 or 7 pair of race plates and can always use some spares.