Note to New Members ×

newbie question - ski boots?

evile

Hi all,

I just picked up my 1st set of plates (Burton Race) and I'm heading over to my friend's house to borrow some ski boots after work. After reading some posts on this board I'm either going to pick up a cheap pair of Raichle Flexon Comps or spring for a set of hard snowboard boots.

I'm planning to mount the plates and taking a ride over to one of the local hills to try it out - couple of questions come to mind....

I see a number of posts from people in MA, I have a choice of Nashoba (1 mile from my office) or Wachusett (30 miles). I know neither are ideal for trying out carving, but would I be nuts to try this at Nashoba? Damn, I think they even sell a lunch pass....

Also, I have my choice of a very dogeared Donek Wide 161 or a brand new K2 Recon Riser 164. Which would be a better board to start this out on?

TIA for any info!!!

-ed

Guest Randy S.

Do a search on the ski boot issue. It will work and with either of those boards you won't have to worry about boot overhang. You'll be happier in snowboard boots, and any Flexons you find will be very old (Although I did see Anton Pogue's in a very short clip during the recent Jeep King of the Mountain broadcast).

Go to Nashoba if that's close. They both suck, so why drive further to a sucky mountain. The top of Nashoba is very flat. You're going to fall down a few times until you get used to riding hard boots. Its easier once you get moving and off the flat top of the hill.

I'd go with the Donek, just because I know those boards are built tough. You'll break the bindings before that board.

Originally posted by Randy S.

any Flexons you find will be very old (Although I did see Anton Pogue's in a very short clip during the recent Jeep King of the Mountain broadcast).

Found some on eBay that are supposedly mint condition....for $60. Would this be a waste? I'm thinking I would rather do this than spend $400 on new boots only to find out this isn't my bag!

evile, That may be a good idea to get into it 'inexpensively' !

That was my 'original' plan, but it didn't work out, (I went for the goodies) and now I'm having second thoughts. Not to deter you in any way, BUT. If you are not 100% committed (like me ) you may find it tougher to 'get good' than anticipated.

I would suggest Wachusett because their is a Wednesday night trip, looks like a good price, and BETTER YET, has some Alpine Boarders signed up. One thing I will say, I've NEVER ran into another Hardbooter that wasn't 'willing' to help a beginner, or 'share' their knowledge. That will be a big PLUS for you, that you have others to learn from in your area, take ADVANTAGE of it !

GOOD LUCK-------jp

If you want, I could set you up on my burton coil. Its more of an all mountian board, and would give you a better feel for what a true alpine board is like. I work up at wachusett every night of the week, so let me know if you are interested.

-Steve

Evile...

Before you pop for som flexon's, post something over on the Classified section of your size and what your budget is. Someone may be able to get you into some Snowboard specific boots for the same price as you would spend on the ski boots.

Also watch e-bay for snowboard specific hardboots, you may be able to find something there in your price range....

The recon Riser is a wicked Allmountain board and if you have never used hard boots of Carved befoer I personally believe it would be a great step .

They are stiff BUT more forgiving than a try Alp board and the side cut is friendlier to start off . Give it a try you might be surprised.

Originally posted by sfleck

what time you think you'll be getting up there?

It's looking like I'm not going to make it but I'm going to shoot for next Wednesday.

It's my son's bday tomorrow and I was supposed to take him to Bradford, but it going to be wicked cold out theah. So I'm taking him tonight instead. If anyone's at Bradford, I'll be the guy in the bright yellow Flexons trying to carve :rolleyes: