Note to New Members ×

Super cold wax???

NMU Alpine Boarder

If I don't have time for hotwax, I use SWIX F4. You rub it in,...wait a few minutes,...use a scotchbrite pad to rub it in again and bring a pattern on the base.

It is almost as good as a normal hotwax job but only lasts a lot less (good for half a day).

For racing,...I don't know.

I use TOKO Gold occaisionally which is good for -20 C I believe. I can't remember the colour code.

We don't normally need any lower than -10 C in OZ.

I use Burton's Arctic ICE on the edges when racing and the Swix F4 Paste is great for a quick top up during the day, esspecially groomed powder on the flat where you seem to just glide and glide when others are having to skate.

Mozz

well at -20

the green swix is about the same but is a pain to apply

there is kind of a trick to it though you need to scrape it before it totally hardens and becomes brittle this makes it so there is very little wax in the base

then use a brass brush for the final step some people say not to use brass but is not gonna hurt any thing with a hard wax on the base and you are gentle

running bare ptex in really cold snow could work well but depending how old the snow is it could really put some wear on your base if the snow is abrasive

I don't like to let my base get dry just makes it hard to get the base to hold wax again

Dominator makes stuff called Bullet (comes in both new and old snow versions) in their thermal-active race wax line that screams on very cold snow. I was just up in the UP last weekend with temps in the -20 - -35 range. Used that with a little HX-07 and flew. Highly recommend it.