Note to New Members ×

Oxygen Proton Limited Edition

RJ-PS

All of us have seen these going on eBay for competitive prices, but also seen a number of people sell them immediately on the classified section here and on eBay.

I looked in the gear reviews and couldn't tell if any of them was of the limited edition or just the normal proton.

I also did a search of the previous listings for "oxygen limited edition" and did not find anything that describes the board.

This board has the reverse taper, but I don't understand that other than it is wider in the back than the front.

Please let me know if this is a waste of time.

I am looking at the 170

RJ

200lbs (currently)

5'8"

Riding mostly blues and some single blacks

2-3 years on plates

I was one that bought..rode for an hour and then sold it (actually, someone stole it from me!) ;o)

I bought the 160. Was a really nice ride, but not for my riding style. As a racer, I need my board to release ASAP after initiating the turn. "Carvers" generally like to hang out a few more nanoseconds to feel the "Gs". Therefore, this board was too "turny" for my application.

I could either mega-detuned the tail or sell it.

Otherwise, the board was pretty nice. A lil soft, but overall very nice quality.

I have a 170 and I really love it (had proton 172 and proton 178 too)

The 170 is way more forgiving than the other protons I had. It is stable yet with 11.5m scr very manouverable on those crowded days and narrow slopes. It is not stiff like the proton but I guess that depends whether you like the softer flex or not. It was my board of choice for a few weeks and indeed I am thinking of selling it now. But the reason for this sale is that I bought two new boards (donek and virus) and I would like to fund two new pair of bindings as well.

Kent,I totally agree with you.

I actually shot an email directly to RJ by accident.

I described the feel of the board the same way. I have the 2002 Limited.

I also have a problem with the stability at high speed. I prefer stiffer boards also.

Yet the board has a lot to offer. To each their own style.

:p

Originally posted by Wolfman

Kent,I totally agree with you.

I actually shot an email directly to RJ by accident.

I described the feel of the board the same way. I have the 2002 Limited.

I also have a problem with the stability at high speed. I prefer stiffer boards also.

Yet the board has a lot to offer. To each their own style.

:p

1. Proton 160 is a slalom board - speed is not that high (or it is not for high speed I should say) and stability is not the issue. It is also damp board... some say "little soft". It is not designed to be "carve ridden" on steep or high speed slopes.

2. Perhaps only special version (limited edition?) with negative taper does not release quickly. The serial board release quickly or your butt (or knees and feet) is not moving fast enough. Used to narrow boards, quick edge-to-edge and using your hips to initiate turns in a lazy manner? So is Kent a serious racer? ... I became only a carver recently... from point when I raced, but not seriously of course. (Never been there anyway).

3. Damper boards allow for better recovery - any serious racer will probably tell you that.

4. Stiffer boards require perfect grooming and those are mainly carving boards or perhaps GS boards (but only if you run as first runner or snow is hard packed enough that ruts are not getting as bad quickly).

5. If you have stability problem then you need to shift weight to the tail a bit more. That depends on board, but negative taper boards will lock sooner and you are set for your long carve if you like lazy turns.

6. Damping vibrations is relatively well performed by softer boards.

Anyway you can't expect slalom board with 10m sidecut radius to be stable (directionally?). Trying to ride it in higher speed is just like trying to drive Pinto at high speeds in traffic jam - you are asking for trouble.

Now, I have been riding serial Proton 160SL on daily basis in really wide range of snow conditions for last several years. If you do not believe then ask anyone on this or Catek's forum who attented ECES or saw me anytime in any resort last years. Most of the time I spend on this board and can tell you a few more words about it than folks who rode it for one hour or even one season.

Now that having said I will not give you much feedback on other boards:D