Note to New Members ×

Bindings in the Olympics

BadBrad

I was checking out the equipment used in the Olympics PGS events. Noticed lots of Kesslers, plus a few Oxess and SG boards. Bindings mostly looked like F2 to me, but I couldn't get a good look from the TV. Maybe even a couple of Burton/Ibex bindings as well. It seems like a lot of the carvers like Bomber TD2/TD3 bindings, but they aren't favored by racers. Is this correct? Do racers usually prefer bindings with more flex?

I'm curious because I've mostly used Burton Race Plates, but I got some TD2s a while back and feel like I might be more comfortable and smoother on the old Burtons because they have more flex in the bails.

On the podiums for PGS, everyone but the female silver medalist was riding what looks to be the F2 Race Titanium. I posted a couple of pics here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?29131-Alpine-Snowboard-Plate-Systems&p=417063#post417063

I think Benjamin Karl was riding a custom plate system with integrated bindings in 2010. I didn't get to see what he was on this time around. I caught the race where he was eliminated, but don't have any of his runs on the video I downloaded because they only show the quarter-finals onwards. He may not be a big fan of the F2s, or it may have something to do with SG sponsorship. This is all, of course, just speculation.

Maybe even a couple of Burton/Ibex bindings as well. It seems like a lot of the carvers like Bomber TD2/TD3 bindings, but they aren't favored by racers. Is this correct? Do racers usually prefer bindings with more flex?

Most of the guys use F2 there is also carve company and ibex (same binding) and another I forget the name of (I think it is Hoof bindings). You may have noticed a few on F2 step ins too ( I think there were 2) not very common in for racers but it works for some. Yes racers typically prefer a more flexible binding a big reason is through ruts and such not as much is transferred to the legs for a smoother ride, it feels to me like the board moves more freely through the rough stuff. Even the Sidewinders are stiffer than most racers like because they only provide flex in one direction (in the pivots) the aluminum and steel is very stiff a plastic (mostly) binding has flex all around.