Note to New Members ×

Vic Wild Wins GOLD for Russia!!

www.oldsnowboards.com

What drives me nuts is the lack of coverage of this on Cdn & US networks... I have suffered through bobsled, luge, skeleton, endless CURLING and BIATHALON to see a few minutes of alpine snowboard racing.

Suppose to be next up on NBC after the local news ... fingers crossed

To be fair with this, I caught the PSL Finals TWICE today... Once was on NBC Sports Network after the Men's Hockey game... Then I caught several runs on NBC's afternoon coverage as well... They will have another segment in Primetime on NBC tonight...

I'm content with that...

The Wall Street Journal article today. Great perspective, somebody there gets it.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304914204579398622552209610

Wouldn't it be interesting if Putin and Obama had one of those friendly bets about whose country wins more medals, you know where they send us vodka and caviar or we send them Bourbon and french fries? As it stands now we're behind Russia by 2 gold medals.

Edited by bigwavedave

The Wall Street Journal article today. Great perspective, somebody there gets it.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304914204579398622552209610

Wouldn't it be interesting if Putin and Obama had one of those friendly bets about whose country wins more medals, you know where they send us vodka and caviar or we send them Bourbon and french fries? As it stands now we're behind Russia by 2 gold medals.

In the article, Reiter mentioned Korea.

"Maybe Korea's looking for riders," Reiter said. "I don't know if they're interested, but if they were, I'd be willing to talk to them."
In fact, Korea sent 2 alpine riders: Shin Bong-Sik & Kim Sang-Kyum to Sochi. And I'm sure there are more fund/support available from government or associations such as KOC (Korean Olympic Committee) than here in US. They do time to time have clinics (mostly by their sponsors) to recreational riders but I haven't heard they had to work other jobs to support themselves to compete. There are good possibility if he asks, especially after Victor Ahn (formerly Ahn, Hyun-Su)'s 4 medals (3 golds and 1 bronze) in short track for Russia. Victor Ahn was not same case as Vic Wild though. He was abandoned by result of infighting within Korean Skating Union and then he took his chance with Russia two years ago. Result.... in addition to his individual 3 medals, Russia got a gold medal on men's 5000 m Relay, which proves Russia short track grew enormously as a team.

MOSCOW (AP) � Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has given a Mercedes-Benz to each Olympic medalist from the host country of the 2014 Sochi Games.

Medvedev reportedly gave away dozens of white Mercedes-Benz cars, decorated with the Russian Olympic team logo. While some of Russia's star athletes, like 15-year-old figure skater Julia Lipnitskaia or 17-year-old teammate Adelina Sotnikova, don't even have their licenses yet, Medvedev found a way around that problem by providing a driver � all services paid.

After an embarrassing sixth-place finish in the medals table at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, Russia finished at the top in Sochi.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20140227/OLY-Russia-Olympic-Cars/

Looks like Vic may have also gotten $120k per medal too:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/27/russia-gives-olympic-medalists-new-mercedes-benz/

On cable news I thought they said it was 300K , good for Vic!! I wish him well. Sounds like life is golden! New alpine wife, Gold Metals, young, he's done good!!

MOSCOW (AP) � Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has given a Mercedes-Benz to each Olympic medalist from the host country of the 2014 Sochi Games.

Medvedev reportedly gave away dozens of white Mercedes-Benz cars, decorated with the Russian Olympic team logo. While some of Russia's star athletes, like 15-year-old figure skater Julia Lipnitskaia or 17-year-old teammate Adelina Sotnikova, don't even have their licenses yet, Medvedev found a way around that problem by providing a driver � all services paid.

After an embarrassing sixth-place finish in the medals table at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, Russia finished at the top in Sochi.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20140227/OLY-Russia-Olympic-Cars/

Let's guess they all have xeon headlights!

N