Note to New Members ×

Advice on getting into racing

john44526

Thanks Kipstar! It's all about having fun. My dad (now 92) instilled that in me. He was a competitive ski jumper in the 1930s. For my 16th birthday he introduced me to sky diving. We've shared a passion for golf.

Pencil drawing is a fairly new hobby and I have a lot to learn. Here's a Work In Progress of a guy who credits NASTAR with getting him started in ski racing. I'll give him the finished product next month.

post-75-141842410596_thumb.jpg

post-75-141842410594_thumb.jpg

A few years ago, I had exactly the same questions.

IMHO, NASTAR is the best way to get started. I'm pretty sure Hunter Mountain still has a program. You can show up whenever the course is open, pay a fee, and get 1, 2, or unlimited runs through a non-intimidating GS course. There is an official timer who announces your time at the end of each run, and their website keeps track of all your runs. This allows you to evaluate changes to boards, setups, and riding techniques. Don't get close to those ski gates, even if it means crossing the skiers' ruts twice on each turn.

USASA is the next level. They usually have a couple of regional races in your area each year. Their entry fees are higher and they run on steeper, more challenging courses than the NASTAR races. Maybe a bit much for a beginner, but great for the intermediate to expert level riders. The big upsides of USASA are that you get real snowboard gates, and you get to meet other competitors, most of whom are excellent riders and generous about evaluating your riding and giving you tips.

Get some coaching. Some of what goes into racing is counter-intuitive, and can only be taught by a good coach. There a great ski and snowboard racing program out at Mt. Hood, OR in the summer called Mt. Hood Skiing and Snowboard Camp (MHSSC).

A closer-to-home alternative is the Pureboarding clinic which is an annual event at nearby Labrador and Toggenberg. The clinic is not race, but Extreme Carving oriented. However, Joerg Egli, the instructor, is a professional with a thorough knowledge of snowboard dynamics. An hour on the hill in his group class will make you a better rider.