Note to New Members ×

Anyone wanna puke

bumpyride

Southern Ontario is full of private ski clubs. It surprises me that this concept hasn't caught on in the rest of the world. If you can afford it, why not? It's no different than golf.

Now, the "advantage" tickets that let you cut into line at regular resorts - that bugs me. But then again, you can pull this just by buying a private lesson. And at places like Whistler, you can pay for a "Ski Esprit" package that sort of a group skiing package with lessons that gives you priority in the lift line.

If I could get in, I would join the yellowstone club. I think it sucks that public areas are (apparently) trying to faze out other than wealthy patrons, but this is common everywhere! Do you know what it costs to go to disneyland? Last I checked it was around $50 for anyone over 12, PLUS like $15 to park. This effectlively limits who can bring their families to D-land. Not that I care about that really, but...from my perspective there is a concerted effort across the board to phase out anyone but the upper middle class.

I don't think it's anything new D-Sub. It's called free enterprise. If I'm going to produce a descretionary product or service, I'm going to target people with disposable income. We're all part of that group. 4-5 snowboards each and participation in a very expensive sport.

bumpyride wants to eliminate the rich. I've got news - we're all rich. From a global perspective, that is.

So what if the King of Siam (or wherever) can afford to buy the the tram at Jackson for a day. That just means he's at another level of rich.

no, its nothing new, but its sad in a way. It just comes down to...how much profit is "enough"

the answer never comes, does it

Its not like someones quality of life decreases because he cant go skiing or go to disneyland, but there are other aspects of life affected by the same general attitude that DO decrease peoples quality of life...it all ties together, no?

Free enterprise is great till it starts to infringe on the little guy. For example, how about the guy that buys the season's pass at Jackson with the expetentcy that he's going to be able to ride the Tram. There should be a disclaimer that says "IF SOMEONE HAS MORE MONEY THAN YOU--TOUGH ____"

Granted the Mainstream Ski Resorts are for the most part free enterprise, but that shouldn't disrupt the rights of those that have paid for use of services, because someone else has paid more. I understand about the lessons thing, and Ski Patrol, but that is just a momentary disruption.

Hell, get the Rich SOB's off the Poor Man's slopes, and give them their own private enclave. Just don't take the Poor Man's pleasure and rights for the sake of extra profit.

From all that I read the "SAVIOR OF THE SKI RESORTS" was the Snowboarder. The masses (especially the young and counterculture, if everyone is wearing baggy pants down to their butt cracks is counterculture) just couldn't relate to the Elitist Ski Industry. Big shift in demographics and income levels. Try to imagine all those newfound Sliders abandoning the Mountains again.

Interesting fact was that 69% of snowboarders came from "NON SKIING FAMILYS".

So the Rich have enough to go where they want, but why at our expense. Further, tell me how many of the big resorts could exist on 1 or 2 Sheik visits a year?

That's just what's wrong with the Government--"FOLLOW THE MONEY", which seems good to some for the moment, has disasterous consequences for all.

SOAP BOX----SOAP BOX.

Corporate take over of Taco Bell.

$267 Mil

Buyout of Opposition's Shares $1,85Mil

Ski Club membership to the Martini Club $300.000

Watching a bunch of poor underpaid Guys and girls enjoying the carve without the hangups of big bussiness $ PRICELESS.

All them Rich bugger's dunno what it's like ,

bloody Apres` Skier's .

I hate to say it but Jackson Hole hasnt been a "poor mans" mountain for a LONG time

and..bumpyride...youre equating Jackson Hole with govt actions...

thats a stretch (even though I agree that the govt operates on the same principles and really shouldnt)

Count me in the lower stratas of the Economic Curve. I've been out to Jackson twice in the last 5 years. Split on a room 3 ways and flew on frequent flier miles (From Business related materials). I ate at the breakfast buffet and packed sandwiches. Got the best deal I could on tickets.

Ask me if I'd be pissed if I couldn't have ridden the Tram.

The delineation for the Private Sector, and the Government are becoming more and more blurred all the time. It seems the ways of the Government are now following what is good for the Private Sector and not the People (Hallibuton, Mining Industry, Forest Industry, Medical Industry, Credit Card Companies, Big Banking, and soon to come "THE INVESTMENT INDUSTRY--soon to be known as SOCIAL SECURITY), That's not the way it's supposed to be. Remember "Of the People, for the People and by the People."

The Private Sector can do what it wants, as long as it recognizes the rights of its Patrons, for which it has Contractural Obligations with. In this respect, I imagine it would be assumed that a Season Pass or a Daily Pass would give the holders a right to all sections of the Lift System, except when conditions are poor, and events that benefit a group or a club (Carving Sessions), that would be open to all. I thinks it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that a group that could buy the whole lift, simply because they can qualify just because they have the money.

I went before the shiek. Maybe, I'll have a change of heart. I'm headed off to Salt Lake this year. ($40.50 Extended Stay America Room split 2 ways).

Aside from that, remember "If you're not part of the Cure, then you're part of the problem." At least we should bring it to the Attention of the Resorts, or maybe we should just do nothing, and accept our fate like those cute little Veal Calves.

It's everyone's duty to stick up for your fellow man, well maybe not everyone, and that seems to be the pervading philosophy of certain segements of our society.

Where do you fall in?

IN Oz things may not be that bad BUT Season pass is $925 this is only for the one resort not both Perisher and Thredbo and is for 4 Months, 2 of which are usually rather good, .

If I save some and then work some I can come to Aspen for a week of Top Shelf Boarding for about the same as it costs me all season in Oz , what with wear and tear on the Car + Fuel maybe some meals and lift ticket. .

Originally posted by skategoat

[b}

So what if the King of Siam (or wherever) can afford to buy the the tram at Jackson for a day. That just means he's at another level of rich. [/b]

Another level of rich is right!!! The man is worth $17.7 billion....number 6 on Forbes WORLDS richest man!! As a major investor in the Four Seasons, he was in Jackson last year visiting one of his newest digs.

http://www.jhnews.com/Archives/FeatureArchive/2004/040128-feature.html

If it's any consolation to you guys, my brother who's an owner/chef of a restaurant in Jackson, stuck it to the Prince. When the Prince was in town, he and his very large entourage (~40 people)were sampling many of the fine local dining establishments. They were strutting around town like they owned the place. They popped in and asked (read: virtually demanded) my brother to shut his rest. down and cater the entourage with a buffet for the following day. Talk about short notice and they even tried to negotiate cheaper prices!! Even with the Prince's asst. threatening that "the Prince will be very dissapointed with you", my bro told them no fricking way!!!

Money means nothing to the very rich, they go through it like we use water. This is a little off topic, but a few years ago I saw a Saudi prince come into town (he was headed to the Mayo clinic in Rochester) in his private 747SP, a day later the family showed up in the A300 and when he was done with his checkup they went shopping, cleaned out a sporting goods store, bought 17 new ford pick-ups with boat and trailer combos, chartered an AN124 (bigger than the C-5 Galaxy) to haul all the loot and flew off to Africa to go on safari. When an entourage like that shows up what big business operation is going to say no?