Note to New Members ×

Absolute Beginner Looking for complete set - 6'4" - 220 lbs.

lastlineofdefense

Hey guys,

I've been a softboot snowboarder for 7 years, and I want to get an inexpensive kit to try hardbooting. I am 6'4", 220 lbs, so I need a fairly long board. I will recheck my exact boot size when I return from traveling, but it is a size 12-12.5 in American shoe sizes. Anyone have anything they're trying to get rid of?

Welcome llod. I'm not selling gear but I'd recommend looking in the For Sale forum for boards between 170 and 180 with a radius of 11 to 13 meters and waist width of 19.5cm to 22cm. You'll want the wider waist for your gunboats. If you have ski boots you can start with them to save a little money, otherwise look in the For Sale forum for used Deeluxe, Head, UPZ. Your mondopoint size is the length of your foot in centimeters. For bindings look for Bomber TD2 or TD3, or F2. DO NOT fool around with Burton bindings, they are too fragile and too old for your weight.

Hope this helps. Below is some reading to get into the sport. Good luck!

At 220 lbs you want a stiffer board, but length is dependent on application. It used to be that companies made the longer models in a particular range (e.g. Volkl RT GS) stiffer, but today those companies collectively produce only a small percentage of boards out there. So "longer = stiffer" is true only for older boards from Volkl, Oxygen, etc., and only within a specific range. A Volkl RT SL 163 (long slalom board, so for heavier rider) is stiffer than a Volkl RT GS 168 (short GS board, so for lighter rider), probably. "Stiff" is relative, too: you'll find "soft" alpine boards stiffer than most "big-guy" freeride boards. And it's still possible at your weight to get an alpine board that's _too_ stiff, believe it or not.

Most of the boards you'll find here in the classifieds for not too much $ are 19 cm waist, maybe 10 or so years old. Don't worry about it and get one. They're great and you'll get used to the slightly higher angles needed quickly. For reference, I am using M29 boots and need about 63/60 on a 19 cm waist board, while on my 20.5 cm waist board I can go all the way down to ... get this... 60/57.

Softer is good for learning and for ice, so I wouldn't even worry about stiffness at first, unless it's a custom board for a 135 lb rider or something. I have been riding an Oxygen Proton 172 at 190 lbs w/o gear and it works nicely, but took a while to be able to deal with narrow(er) trails.

Where do you ride? If you ever get to Camelback let me know and I can probably put together a set-up for you to try out.

I have M28 and M29 boots for sale (Deeluxe Suzuka, possibly taken, and Raichle 223, probably too soft for you). You will need to determine if the Deeluxe/Raichle shape fits your foot or not. If so there are lots of options, if not you may need to look for some UPZs. I may have some M29 UPZs for sale if my attempt to downsize to 28 is successful.