Note to New Members ×

Southern Ontario Session 2014

csquared

It's back and bigger than ever: the Southern Ontario Session 2014. Those other pretenders SES and ECES have their own pages here but they can't match our numbers. SOS is the biggest one-day event for alpine riders (and the most fun).

If you are new to alpine boarding or new to the Southern Ontario scene, you may not know about SOS. This is an all ages, all genders, all abilities, non-competitive event. It's all about the camaraderie of meeting other alpine snowboarders, riding together, exchanging tips, and seeing how others do it. If you're still figuring this sport out, this is a great chance to see the range of riding styles and equipment that is out there and understand how it works for individual riders. You may even be able to borrow a board and test another ride.

The event is held the last Friday in January each year and this year the date falls on January 31. The venue is the Osler Bluff Ski Club which has some of the best alpine riding terrain in the province, excellent grooming, and tons o' snow. Osler Bluff is a private club and mid-week days see very light crowds so there is generally plenty of elbow room on the hills. You can't beat the sight of a dozen riders ripping the hill below you as you rider the chair.

We generally try to be ready to go when they start the lift a little before 9:00 AM. I put you on the event list and you purchase your own ticket from the ticket ladies. We break at noon and lunch together at the lodge at the top of the center chair (the Upper Chalet) where you can bring your lunch or buy what you want from the servery. The hill will finish you before the chair closes down. At the end of the day, we get together for Apres nibbles courtesy of our friends Dave and Andrea at YYZ Canuck and the bar is on hand to quench your thirst. If you are buying equipment from YYZ Canuck, this is a great opportunity to collect it and settle your tab.

If this sounds like something that would interest you, just contact me through my profile and let me know your name, email address, and that you are coming. I need to get your name on the event list, failing which you will not be able to obtain a ticket on the day of the event. I am hoping that we will have 70 for this year's event but more are always welcome. So mark your calendar and drop me a reply.

Justin:

Glad you are interested.

Can you send me an email through my Bomberonline profile please. I will add you to the list but I want to get you on my event directory.

Hey Guy's

I'm new to Toronto, been carving for years and would love to join this event. Can you add me to the list and I'll see you all there.

Thanks

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Csquared; I think we have met at a few of the previous events at Osler. I'll be patrolling again this year, but hope that I might be able to link up with the crew at some point. I am looking to try out a board or 2 if the opportunity may present itself. I have boots and will be riding a prime until I can purchase or order something that fits my purpose. If there any any chance on making some connections prior for dealers / vendors or someone that wants to sell that would be great! Looking forward to the event.

Youngster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Youngster

Hello Csquared; I think we have met at a few of the previous events at Osler. I'll be patrolling again this year, but hope that I might be able to link up with the crew at some point. I am looking to try out a board or 2 if the opportunity may present itself. I have boots and will be riding a prime until I can purchase or order something that fits my purpose. If there any any chance on making some connections prior for dealers / vendors or someone that wants to sell that would be great! Looking forward to the event.

Youngster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be great if you could find time to join us and meet some of the people. Not sure how to connect you with individuals who might be selling gear. I think it would be best to ask around. Dave and Andrea of YYZ Canuck will be at the event. They could deliver a purchase to you at the event if you get in touch with them in advance. Bruce Varsava will be there and it would certainly be worth picking his brain about boards.