Note to New Members ×

Volkl Renn Tiger RT 163 SL

ktv

Volkl Renn Tiger RT 163 SL

Comes with a GoPro mount on the front and tail protection in the form of cut up Dakine Spike stomp pad. I can remove these if wanted.

I tried to represent in the photos the condition of the board as best as I could. Very good condition overall, small nicks here and there, base excellent, waxed after each day of use while I owned it. Lots of camber left.

$170 + shipping.

_KTV4977_zps7104c075.jpg

_KTV4978_zps3be5b032.jpg

_KTV4976_zps4ef97aad.jpg

_KTV4979_zpsb4b18226.jpg

_KTV4980_zps12e374ad.jpg

_KTV4981_zps87296560.jpg

_KTV4983_zpsc0b22a53.jpg

_KTV4984_zpsbdb0d467.jpg

_KTV4986_zps01f7523f.jpg

_KTV4987_zps04740367.jpg

_KTV4988_zps6c54bdc5.jpg

_KTV4990_zpse505d2cf.jpg

_KTV4993_zps38ca5e31.jpg

672558b4-31fd-4f7e-bcc7-1a3b2465e246_zps9327bc59.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm looking for a starter hard-boot board (I am 5'8" & 185 lbs) and would like to know what are your impressions of the board? Pros/cons (I realize that this is subjective and that what you think may be a 'con' I may see as a 'pro' and vice versa)? What type of flex? Is it strictly for carving or would it be good for all-mountain purposes? What type of conditions is it best suited? I have some other questions, but I'll stop here for now. If you'd like, you can email me personally at shawngreen007 at yahoo dot com. Thanks.

I'm looking for a starter hard-boot board (I am 5'8" & 185 lbs) and would like to know what are your impressions of the board? Pros/cons (I realize that this is subjective and that what you think may be a 'con' I may see as a 'pro' and vice versa)? What type of flex? Is it strictly for carving or would it be good for all-mountain purposes? What type of conditions is it best suited? I have some other questions, but I'll stop here for now. If you'd like, you can email me personally at shawngreen007 at yahoo dot com. Thanks.

Sent you a PM.

Tried to add you to my contact list and a pop-up said PM was disabled by admin...

Hey Shawn,

I double checked that my PM is still enabled. Also, please let me know if you didn't get my PM and I'll resent directly to your email.

Thanks.

If it did come thru, I apparently don't know how to find it. I checked the 'notifications' button at the top of the page and checked all over my account page and can't find an inbox or anything else that might allow me to see the PM. I guess I can't send or view PM's.

If it did come thru, I apparently don't know how to find it. I checked the 'notifications' button at the top of the page and checked all over my account page and can't find an inbox or anything else that might allow me to see the PM. I guess I can't send or view PM's.

Sent you an email directly to your email address.

Here's what I had emailed you, Shawn.

Here are the answers to your questions. Please feel free to ask for more information if needed.

The board is a quick turning board that is very easy to initiate a turn with. I learned with this and a Prior 4wd. Between the two, I preferred this to carve on as it is a 19.5 cm waist and felt easier to flick edge to edge. Because this is an easy board to turn, it helped me to be able to learn to get a board high on edge.

Since it's 19.5 cm wide and a slalom board, its shape doesn't lend itself to doing well in powder. I wouldn't suggest using it as an All mountain board. It does well on groom, whether it's hard hardpack or soft hardpack.

It's flex is stock and most of the older stock slalom boards allow for quite a range of rider's weights. You should solicit more opinions on this, but I've read of heavier rides (200 lbs) riding this board, as well as myself, at 150 lbs, to give you reference. It's not stiff, but it's not a noodle either. I ride a 168 Oxygen Proton as well, and I'd label it as stiff and not suitable to learn on. This one is much easier to ride and turn.

Pros:

Easy to turn, easy to learn on.

Topsheet and base are durable, more so than a lot of my other boards.

Very lively, very springy off the tail if you load your weight through the turn into the tail.

Cons:

It's not metal construction, so it's not as damp as metal boards. But this makes it very lively (the pro above).

Since it's 163 and a slalom side cut radius, it doesn't like to be ridden and turn stably at mach speed. This is expected from a board of this size and SCR.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

• 1 year later...