Note to New Members ×

Thoughts on Whitecap?

MN Surfer

Just wondering if anyone could offer thier 2-cents on Whitecap. Every year we do Lutsen for 3-days, and were thinking of mixing it up this year. Apples and oranges, obviously (when compared to Lutsen), but their both the same distance (4-hours) for us.

- Can this be entertaining enough for two days of skiing?

- How is the ski-in/out lodging? Looks a bit... rustic on the (rustic) website.

- Is there a bar/restaurant?

Thanks! Brian.

Stopped there 20 years ago on the way back from Indianhead. Similar to, but smaller than Lutsen in that it is split into 2 areas and is more more of an old-style "ski" oriented hill with less room than I like for carving on all but a couple of runs. Interesting terrain, it might be more fun for free style and/or after a good snowfall.

We host a Special Olympics event there every year. It's actually my favorite place in that area.......if they get snow. The grooming is iffy day to day, but if there's new snow they have some really fun terrain to play on. Some nice steeps, and less crowded than Indianhead. However, if you're really just looking to carve it up I wouldn't make the drive to Whitecap, or if you plan to come this way head to Marquette Mtn instead. Awesome carving there and probably wouldn't be any longer of a drive from your direction.

Thanks, all!

One of the selling points of Whitecap is the trail-side, pet-friendly lodging. And it just looks classic. They've been getting snow (like most everywhere in MI), so that shouldn't be an issue, though I have had others tell me that yes, the grooming is not all too reliable, and you really need fresh.

Would love to hit MQT someday (been surfing up there quite a bit, and it's a solid 7-hours from the Cities). Hoping I can cajole a couple friends to do a week-long UP tour, next winter. Man, there's a lot of good skiing up there.

Glad to see my memory wasn't far off regarding Whitecap. I also recall seeing people coming off a rock cliff.

Coming from MN, Marquette is a 2 hour drive beyond Indianhead.

You might try getting in touch with Algunderfoot for further input, as he rides up there. A couple of years ago he posted that he preferred Indianhead for carving and if it dumps he heads over to neighboring Blackjack. I've never been to Blackjack.

Two years ago I did a trip to the U.P. as a big storm was coming through, rode at the Porkies then up to Bohemia for 2 feet of fresh pow backcountry and then hit Indianhead for some carving on the way home.

By the way, is this you?