Note to New Members ×

Lessons for visits to Squaw Valley on 12/28

Arnob

Hey fellow carvers,

I've been looking to get some lessons from a seasoned carver.

i usually ride Mammoth and have not found anybody up there.

I heard that there's a wider community of carvers in Squaw and was hoping to find one who would be willing to spend a couple hours teaching.

Ill be up on 12/28 for the day.

Any feed back or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Arno

Thanks for the reply. I'll call squaw directly and find out if there are any alpine carving instructors. Did not think there would be such a thing as an alpine carving instructor at the resort. Will check. One fully some more people will respond. Btw: not from Bay Area but thanks for invite. What do u ride ?

Hi,

I live (less than 5 minutes) and ride at Squaw and I wouldn't want to take a lesson there, especially on a holiday weekend.

Squaw is a destination resort and the groomers are always busy/crowded

My suggestion would be Northstar - 20 minutes from Squaw A family mtn. with much better grooming and snow making and you can find trails that are not jamed up with people especially first chair or lunch or after 2pm.

Also the Sherwood lift at Alpine Meadows Resort, just the other side of the Mtn. from Squaw (free shuttle from Squaw) has the best user friendly, wide open groomer run between Squaw and Alpine.

JMHO

Thanks for the feed back. You reckon it'll be more crowded at Squaw? We thought about Alpine as well and will probably end up there.

Thanks for feed back. Any recommendations for instructors are Alpine then?

A

Hi,

I live (less than 5 minutes) and ride at Squaw and I wouldn't want to take a lesson there, especially on a holiday weekend.

Squaw is a destination resort and the groomers are always busy/crowded

My suggestion would be Northstar - 20 minutes from Squaw A family mtn. with much better grooming and snow making and you can find trails that are not jamed up with people especially first chair or lunch or after 2pm.

Also the Sherwood lift at Alpine Meadows Resort, just the other side of the Mtn. from Squaw (free shuttle from Squaw) has the best user friendly, wide open groomer run between Squaw and Alpine.

JMHO

I'd call Squaw...might be an instructor that does Alpine. I'd be surprised if they even know what your talking about as I've can count the number of hardboot riders on ONE Hand that I have seen at Squaw the whole season.......and I'm there 100 days a season!I think contacting PSIA/ANSI and asking them would be quicker to find a certified (Alpine) rider. I bet Heavenly would have one.I hear there's a Alpine riding community (that might mean 2 riders on the Mtn. riding together!) at Mt. Rose above Reno and KirkwoodIt's a big, impressive mtn.....you'll have fun......you just won't see any of the locals there, unless their working, as that is one of the busyest weekends of the season

There is an instructor search feature on the main Bomber page and it lists one person at Squaw and one at Northstar, Instructor search.

I ride at Rose and we probably have 12-15 regulars riding there. A lot do weekdays but it's common to have 5-6 of us riding on a weekend, but some will just carve until 10:00 or 10:30 when it starts to get crowded. No carving instructors at Rose though.

• 3 weeks later...