Note to New Members ×

Girls first board (kids)

rjnakata

I'm looking for my girls first setup (non-carving): 60#, size 1 shoe, 9 years old.

A Burton Chicklet 110 might be good, or do you have some suggestions, I'm all ears!

She's competent on a skateboard...now ready for snow.

RJNakata :) aol :) com

Thanks!

Edited by rjnakata
details

One of my daughters only used the chicklet for maybe half a season, and then I got her on a flat based board. The other one started on a flat based board. Both girls are currently riding Burton Feelgoods in 125 and 135cm lengths. They weigh 74 and 85lbs respectively.

I found with the convex base that it was a little easier for the second daughter to learn, but she rapidly out grew the boards capabilities and when she came into the flats at speed the board would saucer out from underneath her as should couldn't get an edge in. This would invariably result in her catchi her edge at speed.

We also didn't use the single strap bindings from Burton, but went to K2 Kat bindings. Both of my daughters are using the Gnu Park binding this season (I had to special order a 3D disc for it though).

Sorry didn't notice that this was in the WTB section.

Dave.

Edited by Puddy Tat

I responded to your post in the general forum. We have the flat-base Burton Chicklet, but it's 126. Before that my daughter used a 110 Burton LTR ("Learn to Ride", used for first-time rentals). It's also flat-base and worked well for her until her feet were way too big for it. It has the one-strap (it's like two straps joining to one buckle -- anything to reduce frustration!) Burton Freestyle Jr bindings. She used some Burton Moto kids boots at first (sold them years ago) then some Ride women's boots that were really too big for the board. So no boots to offer.

If you're interested I'll send some photos. There are a lot of these around, though, so you may find them locally and avoid shipping.

One of my daughters only used the chicklet for maybe half a season, and then I got her on a flat based board. The other one started on a flat based board. Both girls are currently riding Burton Feelgoods in 125 and 135cm lengths. They weigh 74 and 85lbs respectively.

I found with the convex base that it was a little easier for the second daughter to learn, but she rapidly out grew the boards capabilities and when she came into the flats at speed the board would saucer out from underneath her as should couldn't get an edge in. This would invariably result in her catchi her edge at speed.

We also didn't use the single strap bindings from Burton, but went to K2 Kat bindings. Both of my daughters are using the Gnu Park binding this season (I had to special order a 3D disc for it though).

Sorry didn't notice that this was in the WTB section.

Dave.

I responded to your post in the general forum. We have the flat-base Burton Chicklet, but it's 126. Before that my daughter used a 110 Burton LTR ("Learn to Ride", used for first-time rentals). It's also flat-base and worked well for her until her feet were way too big for it. It has the one-strap (it's like two straps joining to one buckle -- anything to reduce frustration!) Burton Freestyle Jr bindings. She used some Burton Moto kids boots at first (sold them years ago) then some Ride women's boots that were really too big for the board. So no boots to offer.

If you're interested I'll send some photos. There are a lot of these around, though, so you may find them locally and avoid shipping.

Thanks, A 126 might be too stiff for a 60#er...according to Burton. Their specs say that the Chicklet has a convex base. Does yours have a flat base?

Based on your account I do think a flat base would be better in my case. I'll keep looking for a smaller board with a flat base...if they make one!

Thanks, A 126 might be too stiff for a 60#er...according to Burton. Their specs say that the Chicklet has a convex base. Does yours have a flat base?

Based on your account I do think a flat base would be better in my case. I'll keep looking for a smaller board with a flat base...if they make one!

FWIW I seem to recall my daughters went to the Feelgood smalls 125cm board at around 60 (something) pounds. Both of my daughters were pretty tiny so the board was closer to their eyebrows in length when they first started riding it. Neither had any difficulty even though they were slightly under, or at the bottom of the weight range for the board. Both could already ride snowboards when they went to those particular decks though.

The weight range of the board was something I thought about though it didn't seem to have as much of an effect as was worried about.

Dave