Note to New Members ×

Bomber TD3 'BP' baseplates on Skwals

Having some concerns about deck surface damage with the traditional Skwal base plates I contacted Fin to discuss a modification idea I had. He instead suggested I try the TD3 'BP' bases as they are smaller, lighter and have an elastomer interface. Certainly sounded easier, and definitely more effective than what I had in mind. Here they are mounted on my new Coda Edge. All I needed to do was trim the elastomer disc back slightly to eliminate overhang. The aluminum base falls within the edge to edge width of the Coda.

post-2562-141842400845_thumb.jpg

Nice!

That looks really clean Al. So do you figure better board protection than a skwal base or is it more for just topsheet protection. I know Bomber doesn't recommend using BP baseplates on "regular" boards, but I'd think there's really no lateral stress on a skwal since the baseplate is right over the edge. Will miss you at SES.

Ron

Looking forward to the report. It looks like the Codas have a narrow stance width? What the most you can get out of the inserts?

The Chad says that he can build for any stance width. I'm not sure what the default is, but he seems to think that my 16.25" skwal stance is pretty wide. I'm working on having a "Hello Kitty" model built for me...

The Chad says that he can build for any stance width. I'm not sure what the default is, but he seems to think that my 16.25" skwal stance is pretty wide. I'm working on having a "Hello Kitty" model built for me...

Hi Art,

Yes I think mine is narrower than that, something I didn't consider when I ordered the board. My standard stance is 19.5" but then again this is a "water ski" concept, and that I ride with my rear toe touching my heal.

I wouldn't have changed it anyway as custom dimensions make things less marketable in the future.

I had her out last weekend, and while she didn't throw me, it did and will take some getting used to. I definately saw the edge hold potential, just have to nut up and ride her as Chad intended.

Cheers!

Edited by Algunderfoot