Note to New Members ×

Tuning a new board?

amjet12

Hey everyone,

So with a new board comes the question...do I need to tune it before first ride? Should I just get a wax done or get wax and edges? Sharpen or de-tune? (I've only been reading about de-tuning and not quite sure what the point of a "de-tune" is).

Any suggestions? I can't do it myself although I've always wanted to learn and the places around me are far and few between that can. I don't even think I can get the edges done unless I go to a mountain as one shop I called said (as far as I could understand) that because I didn't buy the board with them they would only wax it.

Again I'm country side Japan with no car so I have a total of Sports Authority, Alpine Sports Shop, and Murasaki Surf/Sports shop that can possibly do it. (Murasaki said they would only wax it)

Thanks for the help!

Hey everyone,

So with a new board comes the question...do I need to tune it before first ride? Should I just get a wax done or get wax and edges? Sharpen or de-tune? (I've only been reading about de-tuning and not quite sure what the point of a "de-tune" is).

Any suggestions? I can't do it myself although I've always wanted to learn and the places around me are far and few between that can. I don't even think I can get the edges done unless I go to a mountain as one shop I called said (as far as I could understand) that because I didn't buy the board with them they would only wax it.

Again I'm country side Japan with no car so I have a total of Sports Authority, Alpine Sports Shop, and Murasaki Surf/Sports shop that can possibly do it. (Murasaki said they would only wax it)

Thanks for the help!

Technically, No, you don't need to tune it. Just wax will be fine.

That said, different manufacturers send boards out of there shop in varying states of tune. You may want to contact the manufacturer first and get a sense of what has been done so far (base bevel, edge bevel). If it's already got a 1 degree base and 1 or 2 degree edge and polish as a factory tune, you may as well ride it and see how you like it for a starting point before you start taking metal off. If the board has had little more than the flash cut off and been flattened on a belt (unlikely as that is), you'll want to get the whole works done before taking it out.

Congratulations on the new board! Care to share what your new ride is?

ETA: Do NOT let a regular snowboard shop de-tune your edges!!!! At least not without discussing it with the person who will be doing the work and making sure you both understand each other.

People use the term de-tune to mean drastically different things.

If you talk to a dopey kid who does nothing but park and urban riding, de-tune may mean taking dad's rusty mill-bastard file and completely rounding over the entire edge so it is less likely to catch on a dinged up handrails next to some loading dock in the industrial park.

If you talk to someone tuning skis and boards for folks who are getting podium finishes at races, de-tune may mean slightly dulling the sharp part of the edge for a centimeter or two at the tip and/or tail to ensure that they don't catch and cut the slip phase of the turn short before the rider has their center of mass as far inside as they should.

Edited by dingbat

Wax and ride, you determine what it needs after you experience it. Excessive bevel and detune shortens it's life and devalues it. (in my opinion) If its a decambered board even less likely to need detune. If you feel it needs it do it a few cm's at a time. As mentioned above detune means different things to different people. You wouldn't believe what my son will do to a new pair of skis for park and freestyle. You can easily detune you own board with a small file or stone.

Technically, No, you don't need to tune it. Just wax will be fine.

That said, different manufacturers send boards out of there shop in varying states of tune. You may want to contact the manufacturer first and get a sense of what has been done so far (base bevel, edge bevel). If it's already got a 1 degree base and 1 or 2 degree edge and polish as a factory tune, you may as well ride it and see how you like it for a starting point before you start taking metal off. If the board has had little more than the flash cut off and been flattened on a belt (unlikely as that is), you'll want to get the whole works done before taking it out.

Congratulations on the new board! Care to share what your new ride is?

ETA: Do NOT let a regular snowboard shop de-tune your edges!!!! At least not without discussing it with the person who will be doing the work and making sure you both understand each other.

People use the term de-tune to mean drastically different things.

If you talk to a dopey kid who does nothing but park and urban riding, de-tune may mean taking dad's rusty mill-bastard file and completely rounding over the entire edge so it is less likely to catch on a dinged up handrails next to some loading dock in the industrial park.

If you talk to someone tuning skis and boards for folks who are getting podium finishes at races, de-tune may mean slightly dulling the sharp part of the edge for a centimeter or two at the tip and/or tail to ensure that they don't catch and cut the slip phase of the turn short before the rider has their center of mass as far inside as they should.

It's a 12-13 Never Summer Cobra 155. I was looking for a new board to have over here as I couldn't get any of my boards from home shipped over and I haven't actually had a new freestyle board in a long time so splurged XD.

Will the fact that its a rocker-camber style board effect the tuning? I guess I will just go get it waxed then for starters and see how it feels on the mountain when I get it out there.

And haha! discussing de-tuning! My language skills are slowly coming along so I have no idea if I would be even able to tell the person behind the counter what I want for this board. Probably best just to get a wax and go from there.

Thanks!

It's a 12-13 Never Summer Cobra 155. I was looking for a new board to have over here as I couldn't get any of my boards from home shipped over and I haven't actually had a new freestyle board in a long time so splurged XD.

Will the fact that its a rocker-camber style board effect the tuning? I guess I will just go get it waxed then for starters and see how it feels on the mountain when I get it out there.

And haha! discussing de-tuning! My language skills are slowly coming along so I have no idea if I would be even able to tell the person behind the counter what I want for this board. Probably best just to get a wax and go from there.

Thanks!

amjet12,

You may want to confirm for yourself, but check out post #4 from this link: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/47931-factory-edge-bevel-never-summer-proto.html