Note to New Members ×

@ Ski slope on last day of August

piusthedrcarve

I asked my 5 yrs old son what he wants before his first day of elementary school coming Tuesday. He asked for Skiing and MTBing. ....... NZ or Chile..?:nono:

About 3 hours south from Norther Virginia, There is a outdoor ski park, made with Snowflex in Lynchburg, VA.

We headed down yesterday afternoon and arrived there around 6 but the park was suspended by lighting. The park was re-opened around 8 p.m. (they open Noon to 1 a.m. on weekend).

25asy0m.jpg

It was our first time there and as I wasn't too sure about the Snowflex material for carving, I didn't even bother to bring my alpine gears. I rented jibber board and boots and spend 30 min. at beginner's slope with him. Snowflex was basically like golf mat with small holes that water spray nozzles placed under the material, approximately 6 ft apart, to spray water to soak the mat for ski/snowboard to slide. The material were like golf mats with a lot of cushion. I could dig edges for little carving-like turns. I noticed that some spots that weren't getting watered same amount as other area, were significantly slow. So I had to check all areas to make sure if it doesn't catch edges/base so that I don't fold nose.

After few turns, I went to top of the slope and went down and made some turns on the already checked spots. Did few more runs and hit few table tops/rails and got some good air too. Landing were very soft.. When I tried to lift edges more than...about 30-45 degree, the material didn't hold edges as snow. I got washed and fell. I did few more turns to make sure if I was doing right, and same result. The Snowflex materials allowed skiers/riders to change directions as on snow and provides very cushioned surface. It was perfect for Jibbers. The slope length was about... good 9-10 turns but the turns were obstructed by rails/boxes/table tops.. so had to improvised. If there are no obstacles, I think carving can be attempted. But I don't see the they will do that.

qp07if.jpg

As seen on the first photo, there is one big step-up style jump where few freestyle skiers (I assume they are Liberty University ski team since the tricks they are throwing were x-game quality).

This morning, I and my son hit the BlackWater trails.. little steep/rough for 5 yrs old to ride.. so took easy x-country trails afterward.

e9g3uw.jpg

All in all. it was a great trip. Next time, i will bring my golf clubs so I can accomplish all 3 in one day.