Note to New Members ×

I love HEAD boots

ncermak

Guest Randy S.

Scott,

I'd say that either the Heads or the UPZ boots will be your best bet. I'm not sure which is wider, but both fit my E width feet.

As for boot fitters, I'm sure you could find one within a reasonable drive, but the suggestion of doing it while on a trip isn't a bad one. The thing is, its nice to go to a shop you can visit again. Partly because of this, I've become a big fan of SureFoot. They have shops in a bunch of places and by far did the best job I've experienced when making me footbeds. Footbeds are the starting point for custom fitting your boots. With Surefoot, once they make you a footbed, they'll do any customization necessary to your boots for the life of the footbed. I think the closest surefoot to you might be in NYC, but they also have one at Killington if you want to make a serious road trip.

Good luck.

what's the deal w/sure foot? their website only has a "skiboot" link.

Do they carry head boots? or does one have to buy a pair somewhere and then go there for fitting?

My feet are busted up enough and i'm dying for some new boots, but i don't want to drive the 3 hours to stratton just for some boot fitting. i've given up on paying the 70$ stratton lift ticket. :-)

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by johann

what's the deal w/sure foot? their website only has a "skiboot" link.

Do they carry head boots? or does one have to buy a pair somewhere and then go there for fitting?

They don't carry Head snowboard boots. Buy them from Bomber, then have Surefoot make you a custom footbed. As part of the cost of the footbed, they'll do any customization to your boot that you need for the life of the footbed. Its an awesome deal. They've done a lot of work on my boots for me at no additional charge.

There are some interesting posts in this thread. After riding hard boots for 12 years and teaching in them for 10 I have discovered that good boot fit is the penultimate achievement of the carver.

After my first couple of pair of new boots I don't even try to ride the stock liners at all.

For those who have never tried a custom liner please do your feet a favor and do so. I regularly ride/teach in hard boots for 6-7 hour stretches for many days in a row and my feet are very happy that I have gone to custom liners.

(NOTE: ***I do not receive any compensation from any boot or boot fitting company****)

For comparison I have included my stats as I believe it is pertinent to the conversation.

Weight: 245

Ht: 5' 11"

Riding style: very agressive

Boots: 1) Navy Blue Burton Fire with Conformable liner and custom footbed.

2) Red Fire with cork zipfit and cork footbed.

3) Green reactor with silicone zipfit and custom footbed.

Powder board: Frontier 185

Carving: Burner 198 (my prefered among the quiver)

Teaching board ( lower level freestyle): Canyon 173

I have had four pairs of zip ifts, two thermoflex and now a conformable foam liner.

My feedback: My first zip fits were the best and are still (after 300 days of riding) in the best shape of the four pair that I have. I used to ride my Reactors in the powder without locking the forward lean and that contributed to extra liner wear in the achilles area and right above (from the extra flexing) in the latter models of zippy that I have thrashed. The cork foam zipfit does not work at all for me as I have had to have it reinjected three times in under 70 days due to packing out and the cork moving around. I aslo experience a lot of ankle bang (mostly back foot) and other discomforts that i did not feel in the older zippies. For the record I loved the silicone zipfits even with the relatively painful (1-2 day) breakin. Generally these newer zippies don't seem to last more than a 100 days of hard riding for me.

The thermoflex liner while nice and toasty seemed much to soft for hard carving and would actually seem to rotate within the shell. I gave them to my nephew after 4-5 days. At 150 lbs (although a novice carver) he seems to like them without even getting them remolded. And he is kind of a pansy when it comes to pain, cold etc - so they must be all right.

The Conformable liners with a new footbed, were very comfortable and warm from day one. Kind of what I used to get with the zip fit at day three. I only have three weeks riding in them so far but they are great.

Guest Randy S.

Hey Carvedog,

I'd be really interested to hear what you think of the Conform'ables after 40-50 days in them. I'm happy so far with the Head stock liners and my surefoot footbeds, but I've wondered about those conform'ables as a replacement when these start to go. With my injury, I'm done for this season so I can sit back and wait for the decision.

Randy

• 2 weeks later...