Note to New Members ×

Anyone want to have a cow?

two_ravens

A COW Session that is: Carvers Out West! Wondering if there would be any interest in a late season gathering at Grand Targhee? They are open through April 21 this year and spring carving there can be quite nice (though they kind of forget to groom that last week, so maybe earlier in April...???) They sometimes offer nice deals on room/ticket packages, and they have a $200 "Daylight Savings" pass that starts with the time change and goes to the end of the season.

So....not thinking of anything fancy or very organized - just maybe get some carvers together, share some accommodations and make a lot of trenches.

Anybody? Anybody?

Depending on your route, about 10 - 11 hours. Interestingly, mapquest shows the shortest route going through Pinedale at about 550 miles. Some stretches of that route can be pretty difficult in bad weather and it is especially prone to black ice...... So if there is any weather going on, driving through Salt Lake might end up taking less time, though that is about 700 miles.

For anyone flying in, the cheapest/easiest route would probably be to fly to Idaho Falls, ID and rent a car from there.

Possibly interested in coming up for a Friday evening- Sunday afternoon deal because I'm only 265 mile away. What's the cheapest room within 45 minutes of the hill?

Hmmm.... well, I haven't done enough research to figure out the very cheapest room, but to give you an idea: a room at the Super 8 in Driggs runs about $60 per night. But a better deal might be if we get a group together to rent a private home and people can pay a share depending on how many nights they stay. Some of these really nice homes start at $125/night. We rented one a few years ago for a long weekend (with hot tub, wi-fi, pool table, spectacular views) - it ended up being $100 each for 3 nights. Sweet!

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/idaho/teton-valley/driggs

If you can get a house down to $60/ night per person, that sounds like a plan, otherwise I'll live the dream over at the Super 8. Hammer out some dates for when you want to do this and I'm in.

UP, awesome! We'll see what develops. I would lean toward dates that encompass the weekend of April 6 & 7, but that is Whitefish closing weekend - there may be some who want to attend that too... I think it should be pretty easy to get a house for less than $60/night if we can get even 1/2 dozen carvers in on it.

@Two Ravens,I don't want to jynx it by being excited to do this,so I'll just say I'm 'mildly interested'.My Best friend and fellow hardbooter will be visiting up here for several weeks and we were thinking of possible road trips.

Steve, super! We would certainly be 'mildly interested' in having the two of you come make trenches with us at the Ghee! ;) Do you have a preference on the dates? I'm thinking our best bet for snow conditions would be around April 6 & 7, or April 13 & 14 might be ok. Closing weekend is usually pretty sketchy for carving conditions...

Well,my buddy will be flying home to Texas out of Spokane on the 8th,so we would likely come down for that Thursday, Friday and Saturday (4th-6th)and drive back up here that Sunday;optimum would have been the weekend of March 29-31 for which I could pretty much guarantee our participation.I have a feeling we might make a priority to attend even if you do decide on the weekend of the 6-7th,since we last rode Targhee together in 1989 and it would be a cool bro-trip to do it again after 24 years :-)

LeeW - AWESOME!!! We ALWAYS need more cowbell!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

pwrkytr and davek - hope you guys can make it! We'll keep you posted on dates....

Steve P - end of March would be great except... I'll still be employed. My employment problems end as of April 1. Of course, it would be a nice twist for me to organize a real session and then not attend it after hosting all those imaginary sessions where I was the only one there....... :smashfrea

Hey Ron, I'm thinking that if you bring your lovely and talented "HB" lady (instigator of the "angry snowboarder" incident) and if Steve P shows up (instigator of the "angry skier" incidents) then we could stir up all kinds of trouble! Yay carvers!!! :eplus2::eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

Mike T, can you make it happen? The Ghee can be a mighty fine carving mountain....