Note to New Members ×

Broken Tanker, can it be fixed?

Duus

Hi

I am in Niseko at the moment and having a blast! ;)

However my equipment is not equally happy... Today I cracked my 172 "Dani Kiwi Meier" in the area where the rear binding is attached. The largest crack is at the edge of the inserts, and there are a couple of other cracks where the base material shifts to the gray one. See pictures.

The board is the 2010 model and have been ridden approx. 3 weeks.

The bindings I used are Catek FR2.

Do you think it can be fixed?

Best regards

Jakob Duus

post-11239-141842385374_thumb.jpg

post-11239-141842385377_thumb.jpg

I just took it to a local guy. He seemed to know his stuff, but what do I know... At least he spoke english :)

He was not sure if it was just the base or also the core.

Is there a possibility that it could be just the P-tex which is craked?

I will ride my Dual tomorrow instead... But I will miss the tanker for the big powder lines (which is the reason of being here :lol:)

Ptex doesn't just distort like that, it's wrinkled from the core cracking.

I'm glad to hear it was at least in softies though, there was a period when a bunch of Tankers were cracking and getting posted here generally from being ridden with plates. Chalk it up to being a badass and hang it on the wall.

Edited by KingCrimson

post-274-141842385384_thumb.jpg

I have broken an older model same board a few years ago. when I bought it used it had a slight cosmetic crack in front of the rear inserts. I believe it was the 01' or 02' model.

I loved that board! It rode great with no weakness from those stress cracks on the topsheet. but it couldn't handle the stress of the terrain park on a sunny Spring afternoon. It still hurts to talk about it.

I'm glad to hear it was at least in softies though, there was a period when a bunch of Tankers were cracking and getting posted here generally from being ridden with plates.

It has more to do with type of binding used then h/boot - s/boot... The FR2 has the small base with point loading wings, same as the OS2. The later broke many alpine boards too. It is also quite tall, which increases the lever. Most of the Tankers, reported in the past, cracked with TD2, which has better base print then OS2/FR2, but still not safe enough for a wide soft board. Wide boards should be ridden with wide footprint bindings, of soft flex and low profile. Other option is a riser to spread the load, like Palmer, Burton or even Catek Lexan plate...

That crack looks insane slopetool!!

Thanks a lot for the information.

I will look into using a spacer to reduce the stress in the board when using the FR2's. I am a little worried that I will kill my Swoard Dual the same way... Unfortunately I have no other binding option with me.