Note to New Members ×

Is riding style dictated by binding angles?

skategoat

This is probably a question for Jack.

Regarding the "face the nose" stance vs. "face your toes" stance, is that in any way determined by your binding angles? ie. is it possible to ride facing the nose when you are at mild angles like 45 degrees?

Also, when reading Chris Klug's site, he suggests a "sitting in a chair" metaphor when executing a heelside carve. My feeling on this is that it would cause you to shift your weight back which I don't think is a good thing. Comments?

Originally posted by skategoat

This is probably a question for Jack.

Regarding the "face the nose" stance vs. "face your toes" stance, is that in any way determined by your binding angles? ie. is it possible to ride facing the nose when you are at mild angles like 45 degrees?

It's "possible" but I don't think you'd want to. So I guess the answer to your question is yes.

Also, when reading Chris Klug's site, he suggests a "sitting in a chair" metaphor when executing a heelside carve. My feeling on this is that it would cause you to shift your weight back which I don't think is a good thing. Comments?

I'm not quite sure what exactly he's getting at, but it could be another case of telling a newbie to do something extreme in order to get him to do something a little bit. I've had several people in lessons exclaim "I AM!!" as they ride by me and I tell them to bend their knees. They think they are, but their legs are bone straight. Sometimes you have to tell these people to sit in a chair to get them to bend their knees at all.

As for what is the "right" amount to bend your knees, I would say in my opinion, you only want to use your knees for suspension purposes - not to "get low" unnecessarily. That is, you never want your butt to be hanging way off the board to the inside of the turn if it doesn't need to be. In other words, you don't want your butt leaning into the turn more than the board is tilted up.

For instance, if you look at this picture, my butt is quite low, but the board is angled up quite high. My butt is still "over" the topsheet of the board.

Of course, I ride at 63 degrees and I don't race, so this is all based on that. At 45 degrees, technique would be different. It would probably result in a little more "chair sitting".

Yes it is.

And that's a question to all of experience riders who will tell you that.

I have changed style a few times because of stance and boot adjustments to that degree that my run speeds increased and precision improved. This is because I could flex my joints to pressurize the edge properly.

Most of top pro racers run at quite low angles since the control over the edge is so crucial to make precise adjustments when running on gates in different conditions.

A regular carver does not need that kind of precision or quickness. Therfore you see carvers who let themselves working with hips a lot (slow technique) locking their body into turns, diving into snow on tip of the board.

That's a lot of fun, but rarely acceptable when you have to make turn in timed manner and you may hit some upredictable snow after other "runners". It does not pay off.

Now see also what http://www.extremecarving.com folks have to say about another carving technique and body position or stance. It is very interesting

Chris Klugs technique is one of many. It is mostly racers' technique. Even between racers technique is different. Take his advice seriously, but adjust stance to your natural mobility dictaed by joints.

Bending knees? Yes, but carvers frequently prefer bending hips. Why? Because they are in high angled stance. In order to work edge of the board, they have to move balance it with upper body. If they were in lower angles, knees and and feet would help and turns would be faster and more precise. Anyway that is general rule and some folks can handle board with knees and feet even at higher angles.

In general any part of stance influences technique of riding and it may do a lot of bad.

I had been riding 45/30 for years when I got the "face forward" religion. Even at those angles, just changing my posture made my carving a lot better. My widest board (23cm) is now set with 45/40 angles and I'm totally sold on the face forward idea even with those angles.

I'm more comfortable riding higher angles with that technique, though. Was riding 55/50 and 21cm for the last 3 years or so, and still wanted a little higher angles for hard carving. Got 19cm and 17cm boards for this season, we'll see where I end up...

I'm riding 50/43 and 45/40 on two different boards. I find the mild angles more comfortable but I find I get more stability when I face forward. I'm wondering if I should steepen the angles.

I'm still trying to work things out as I get better at this carving thing. I'm probably using 5 different techniques on a single run.

Jack you said "Of course, I ride at 63 degrees and I don't race, so this is all based on that. At 45 degrees, technique would be different. It would probably result in a little more "chair sitting"."

Technique would actually be the same, the only thing different is your bodies position relitive to the board.

Jack

I have examined that picture and I think you need to learn some new stuff.

There are a huge number of mistakes with your technique.

Of dressing.

- no trendy headband from the 90s

- no turtleneck with the name of the resort printed on the front

- no neon!!!????

My faith in your advice is shattered ;-)

Originally posted by philfell

Technique would actually be the same, the only thing different is your bodies position relitive to the board.

Hmm, I think that's what I meant to say, thanks phil.

kipstar - so sorry to disappoint. My vintage '98 Burton jacket is alive and kicking, and you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands!