Note to New Members ×

Advice for dealing with bunionette (or tailor's bunion)

lafcadio

I'm currently riding on Deeluxe 225s (older model without moldable liners) using ALINE Insoles which were fitted for me at the Starting Gate near Stratton, Vermont. (The insoles/footbeds were fitted a couple of years ago when I was wearing Head Stratos Pro boots.) I have not yet seen a boot fitter since riding my current boots.

I seem to be developing a bunionette on the tittle toe of both feet (left/front foot is slightly worse). This actually started at the very end of last year when I was still wearing my Heads.

Some more data points:

• I'm about 175 pounds
  • Ride regular
  • ride about 40 days per season
  • rarely ride more than 3 days in a row except for once/twice per year -- SES is coming!

Most importantly, my boots actually feel very comfortable. I do not notice any tightness, discomfort, pressure points, or anything when buckled into them, riding or not. It's not until I take my boots off at the end of the day, that the bunionette area of my little toes are sore, red, and swollen.

From everything I've read, the most obvious cause is that the boots are putting pressure on the outside of my feet near my little toes, although they certainly do not feel like that while I'm wearing them.

Has anyone had to deal with similar issues? What has worked for you?

I'm attending SES and will ride for all seven days, and I'm a bit concerned what that will do to me already sensitive feet.

I did find this old post by Fin, and wondering if that's still the best option.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I suggest to have a shop widening your hardboot (outer shell) and to get a customized inliner.

Right on! While in Aspen during SES last week, I visited Harry at Gene Taylor's in Snowmass as recommended by Angie and Jim. Harry is the man when it comes to boots! :biggthump Punched out my boot shells to accomodate the extra width and for the first time this season I was pain free at the end of the day. :1luvu:

For now, I'm still using the original (non-moldable) liners and will likely upgrade liners next season.