Note to New Members ×

NASTAR Eastern Championships Feb 1-3 Okemo Mountain, VT

patmoore

If you're free on Ground Hog day, please plan on joining us at Okemo for the NASTAR Eastern Championships. Unlike the Nationals we won't be able to set snowboard gates this year but it should be a fun day nonetheless. The Race of Champions and Team/Family Races take place on Sunday. It's a great way to qualify for the Nationals. Fun, prizes, sponsor tents, and a terrific band will add to the experience. Come out and show everyone what real snowboarding is like.

Pacesetting will be done by four time Olympian A J Kitt.

Check out all the details and register online here. It's a true open with no prior qualifying required.

Edited by patmoore

Not for this event. I normally set stubbies on one course every weekend but we'll be way outnumbered by skiers this time. If we can get our numbers up we can justify a separate course in future regional events. I'm all in favor of it!

At the Nationals we made the switch about a half dozen years ago and it's been popular. It was cool watching Ted Ligety paceset the snowboard course on his skis at Winter Park. He was crazy fast beating Jake Fiala, Doug Lewis, and AJ Kitt by two seconds.

Ted was kind enough to pose for a picture with me during the Race of Champions (note my Stratos Pros). That's Jake to the left and Doug in the gate.

ve137t.gif

FUN Weekend! Good turnout by snowboarders and unless I'm mistaken, all were on hardboot boards. I had the good fortune to win my age group in both skiing and boarding and had the tough decision as to which to run on for the Race of Champions. In that format, the winner is the person who improves most over the previous day. I opted to run on my board and it paid off. At the banquet on Saturday night I even won a new GoPro!

Here are the overall winners of the men's competition: Jonathan Van Skyhawk, me, and Lew Brissette. Lew knocked Brian Spink off the podium or it would have been all boarders!

2e3tu9v.jpg

akvad3.jpg

Edited by patmoore

FUN Weekend! Good turnout by snowboarders and unless I'm mistaken, all were on hardboot boards. I had the good fortune to win my age group in both skiing and boarding and had the tough decision as to which to run on for the Race of Champions. In that format, the winner is the person who improves most over the previous day. I opted to run on my board and it paid off. At the banquet on Saturday night I even won a new GoPro!

Here are the overall winners of the men's competition: Brian Van Skyhawk, me, and Lew Brissette. Lew knocked Brian Spink off the podium or it would have been all boarders!

2e3tu9v.jpg

akvad3.jpg

Pat, you must have oxygen deprivation syndrome from the high altitude atop the podium. He meant to say Johnathan Van Skyhawk not Brian!

Pat, you must have oxygen deprivation syndrome from the high altitude atop the podium. He meant to say Johnathan Van Skyhawk not Brian!

I'm definitely light headed Jonathan! We stayed in VT to watch the Super Bowl and got up at 5 this morning to drive back to CT. I posted the photos when I got home and clearly was experiencing a case of cranial flatulence. Congrats on a great performance!

I'm definitely light headed Jonathan! We stayed in VT to watch the Super Bowl and got up at 5 this morning to drive back to CT. I posted the photos when I got home and clearly was experiencing a case of cranial flatulence. Congrats on a great performance!

Thanks Pat, Good Game! I am definitely envious of your giant cup! That would have been a perfect holder for my Super Bowl beverages! :cool: