Note to New Members ×

I'm on a quest! For glory!

PenguinScotty

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have cometh to you in search of information, information which my Google skills have failed to satisfy, sadly. All in all, i'm looking to delve into the whole Race/Carving etc. side of Boarding again.

Quick recap. Stemming from the frigged Austria, i was forced to Ski from age 4. As soon as i was able to, i jumped on a Snowboard and have been on it ever since. I started out with a hard booted (My ski boots) on an old F2 board. Around Junior High, i switched to soft boots, because, you know, it was cool and such, and have been riding that ever since. Thing is, i tend to enjoy carving a lot, especially when there is no powder around or i'm not in the middle of nowhere. That's all fine and dandy, but since i'm about 5'11" and weigh 200 lbs during winter (Okay, during summer as well) with a show size of 12, i tend to wear boots out a bit fast, it seems.

All this together really shows me that a second board, primarily for carving, when there is no powder and no off-piste excursions, would be a good idea. Thing is, my feet are big and, as i said, i'm rather heavy, so are there any specific things i should be looking out for when checking Alpine/Race boards? Do you have any recommendations? What are the main differences to look out for between the now more standard freeride boards and these Alpine boards?

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me out.

Happy new year, by the way!

Welcome to BOL.

Pretty common statement really. Do a couple simple searches to find numerous similar threads.

Perhaps add: Rad-Air, Tanker, Lib Tech, Skunk Ape, Donek, allot to chose from.

Or do the best thing right off the bat and get a good used hard boot set up and get to the goods quickly.

Enjoy.

Post up on the CA ride board and allow other BOL members show you the ropes. We are a friendly bunch and if you save the "I can carve as well on soft boots" dribble, we can get you hooked back up in no time.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Welcome to BOL.

Pretty common statement really. Do a couple simple searches to find numerous similar threads.

Perhaps add: Rad-Air, Tanker, Lib Tech, Skunk Ape, Donek, allot to chose from.

Or do the best thing right off the bat and get a good used hard boot set up and get to the goods quickly.

Enjoy.

Post up on the CA ride board and allow other BOL members show you the ropes. We are a friendly bunch and if you save the "I can carve as well on soft boots" dribble, we can get you hooked back up in no time.

Thanks for the input.

My main concern was regarding heavier riders with big feet, but i'll be pushing the weight-recommendations of any board with suitable length anyway.

I'll hop on over to the CA sub-section to gather some info in regards to locations. Definitely could use some input on that since i haven't been to anything in Cali yet.

Do people really say they can carve as well in soft boots? It's probably the "Let's Shred down this hill", crowd, isn't it.

Again, thanks for the input. I'll keep on gathering info and am looking forward to getting some more lean angles down.

:biggthump

US12 feet will probably fit into mp29 shells with a bit of thought and a thermo liner, 200# is not particularly heavy. you might want a wider board to avoid overhang without heading into skwal territory, but most modern boards will manage your bulk just fine. some may even be too stiff.

Edited by kieran

My main concern was regarding heavier riders with big feet, but i'll be pushing the weight-recommendations of any board with suitable length anyway.

:biggthump

I have size 14's (31.5 mp) and ride roughly 45 degree angles. I require a board with 24 - 26 cm waist width to avoid boot out. I'm 6'3" and 210lbs. If you can run tighter angles then you'll have more board options. I carved for years on my Burton Supermodel with softies, but eventually wanted to get into hardbooting. However, I found it difficult to find a stock board that would meet that width requirement, so about a year ago I approached Sean at Donek to build me a wide (26 cm) Axxess 172, and haven't looked back. Literally took NO getting used to....from turn 1, it's been perfect.

Edited by icebiker