Note to New Members ×

Powderhorn tomorrow

Grand Junction Carver

Great day today even though we got 9 inches in past 48 (a little soft on the groom). Dag, Doug, and I did quite a few runs on the West End today (Tenderfoot and Redeye) and it was decent. Also did Bills and Peacemaker. Doctor Scott, Sharon, and Jimmy were sofbooting today. Scott was carving it up with the soft boot Bomber plates (SoftbootSailor would have been envious). Below is a couple of pics of GJC and Doug flipping on edge on Redeye.

post-10948-141842389199_thumb.jpg

post-10948-141842389203_thumb.jpg

Doug and I went up for morning session and a little granular and icy today. We have been extremely spoiled this year with only 2 days (today and the first day of the year in mid December) out of the 17 days being a little sketchy. The last day at Powderhorn for me this season since I am going on spring break on Friday. Doug is heading back to Florida end of march so Dag and I will have to get up to Aspen in April for season's end. Maybe we can get over to Loveland if they stay open till May to ride with big Mario and yo lci crowd. Signing off from Powderhorn and see you next year!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Spring Break. Going to Steamboat this weekend to watch my daughter play tennis and may get some carves in. Anybody know any good runs at steamboat. I noticed Dave Winters on Carver Almanac noted some good runs (High Noon, Flintock, etc.). Anyway am sad that Powderhorn is closed for the season, but Maui was great last week. Windsurfing off the North Shore off of Kanaha Beach (where 15 foot tiger sharks have been spotted).

post-10948-141842391655_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Powderhorn reopened this past weekend after being closed since 3/31 due to all the snow we got the past two weeks (up to a 75 inch base). Dag (Flyfast) and I did some late season carving on Bills and Peacemaker. Photos below of flyfast and GJC. Great last days at Powderhorn. Thanks for reopening and a great season!

post-10948-141842392791_thumb.jpg

post-10948-141842392794_thumb.jpg

post-10948-141842392789_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Went to Snowmass with my older daughter this past weekend and shredded up the early snow. Powderhorn is scheduled to open up on December 12th, but with all the early snow (3 weeks ahead of average on SNOTEL) maybe they will open up early. Pic below is from webcam at Powderhorn (over a foot in last 48 hours).

post-10948-141842400408_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Powderhorn announced early this week that they are opening up early (December 7th) due to the early snow (SNOTEL shows that the Mesa is 3 to 4 weeks ahead of average snowfall). 13 inches reported in last 48 hours with a 43 inch base. Unbelievable for this time of year! Will be meeting up with Doug on Saturday and Dag on Sunday. Both days expected to highs of 14 degrees (brrrrr). Webcam of the Horn a few minutes ago.

post-10948-14184240149_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great last 4 days at Powderhorn. 4 carvers on the hill today shredding up Bills and Peacemaker. Doug, Dag, Mike, and I enjoying the Bluebird Colorado skies and mid 30 degree weather. Almost like spring but with great snow due to the cold nights. Doug is carving the perfect Cs due to his tight turn radius and controlling speed while the rest of us are more S shaped/bombing down the hill. Hoping for some more snow to build up our 44 inch base. Happy New Year from the Horn!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...