Note to New Members ×

Powderhorn tomorrow

Grand Junction Carver

Doug, Dag, and I will be meeting for first tracks at midway tomorrow. Today was great with 13 inches of new snow the past 72 hours and a 32 inch base. Bills run and Peacemaker were well groomed and maybe they will groom wonderbump tomorrow. Saw one other carver today while going up the lift so if you read this thread meet us at the lift at 9. Doug is starting to look like that slow motion carver. On the video thread.

Yesterday was great with the best runs on well groomed peacemaker. Bills run had a lot of small rocks (may have to petex tonight) due to over grooming. Bottom of Maverick was not bad had good snow cover. The three of us were turning heads below the lift on peacemaker and had a few follow us down asking about the sport. Forecast is 6 to 12 inches the next two days to hopefully cover Bill's run.

Another 8 inches fell last night and up to 45 inch base almost best in the state. We're drowning in it and they can't groom it in fast enough. Yesterday I rode with a fellow carver I met (Carl fron New Mexico) and saw another I didn't recognize. It used to be only three hardbooters on this hill now its up to five or six. Am going to have to take a break from Powderhorn tomorrow and go to snowmass to try Big burn and elk camp areas ( got to start using the classic pass and save some for the upcoming SES).

Bring your pow board. It has been snowing all day here, albeit off and on. Won't be a huge pow day by any means, but it will be too soft to carve. Ang and I will probably be at Smass as well. PM my your number and we'll give you a call when we get up there.

Sorry to miss you and Angie, Jim! Ended up going to Highlands on Friday and Buttermilk on Saturday (-14 degrees at 9 am but some of the tie hack runs we're well groomed) and didnt check my emails. Rode with a bunch of skier friends. Will be going to Powderhorn on new years eve day if you and Ang ever want to try a smaller hill. Hopefully Doug Miller will be getting the day off so he and I can ride together otherwise I may be solo.

Was able to get away to Powderhorn yesterday for the afternoon and still had great carving conditions. Doug had some nice remaining trenches below the lift from his morning session. Dog texted me about his afternoon today and said his new Prior FLC was PHENOMENAL(he finally got rid of that delaminated Burton he had for 10 years).

• 2 weeks later...

Dag, Doug, and I did some early tracks this morning below the lift. We also met up with another three carvers - Mike from Paonia, Dr. Scott (GJ), Jimmy (GJ), and Sharon (snowboarding soon to be carver). Awesome day on Bills, Maverick, and Peacemaker (below the lift). A record 6 carvers on Powderhorn today!post-10948-141842381914_thumb.jpg

WOW! Another 18 inches overnight (25 in past 48 hrs), up to 59 inch base, incredible. Should be groomed in by Friday when I take day off. Doug and Dog, meet up for first tracks on Friday morning? Maybe also Saturday morning? Aspen getting a little - 6 inches at Buttermilk (7 in last 48 hrs and 10 in last 7 days) - keep it coming for SES!

• 3 weeks later...
Now that SES is over its back to the home mountain. Powderhorn has gotten 14 inches in past 48 and I am going to wait till Sunday till they groom it in. Dag heal fast. Hope to see Doug, Scott, Jimmy, and Sharon up there carving it up!

The ribs are healing up! Prob a couple more weeks - I love Ibuprofin

Sunday at Powderhorn was a Pow day (5 new inches) and I went with the reliable Donek AXS all mountain while Doug was actually doing some carving on his snow skate (to much Pow for his metal FC). Going to try again this weekend after all new snow is groomed and try out a new board. Powderhorn is up to a 69 inch base - most I have seen in the 14 years since I have been riding there.

Went three days in a row trying out the new Kessler 168 and Doug was trying out the Coiler VSR 177. Incredible 3 days with good groom and weather. Dr. Scott, Jimmy, and Sharon were also up Sunday carving up on Red Eye. Doug and I were mostly riding Bills, Peacemaker, and Lower Equalizer which were outstanding! Below is pic from Saturday riding the lift above Peacemaker after doing first tracks with Doug (the extreme carving machine).

post-10948-14184238751_thumb.jpg

Also forgot to mention that I went back to the Coiler at the end of the day on Sunday and as I was carving a toeside near the bottom of the lift I broke or sheared the heal Bail right at the lug and popped out. Thank God I was near the lift. Am going to keep it and show it to Fin to see if that is common after 4 years of use. Also a pic down below of a snow turtle at the top of midway lift at Powderhorn. ALOHA from out home mountain!

post-10948-141842387518_thumb.jpg