Note to New Members ×

Afton Alps has been sold....

Speedzilla

This year you can get a 25% discount off the walk up rate. I wouldn't book any flights or lodging based on free skiing out west. Also remember, Vail Resorts isn't going to borrow from the Chinese for "Afton Stimulus." Someone is going to pay for it.

The market here is very different than out west. You don't see very many families in jeans or Carhartt's from Iowa skiing at the other vail resorts. That family will spend $500-1000 for their big weekend of skiing, a large portion of which is spent on lift tickets, rentals, lessons, and resort dining. These are the customers that make money for the midwestern resorts. They are price sensitive; what is the balance between the experience and price? It will be interesting to see. The season pass holders make sure that the they can pay for the electricity to make snow and run the lifts and hire a few employees, because that cash is collected before the start of the season. I'd like to see some improvements, but you have to know your customer. Believe it or not, we are not the target demographic for midwestern resorts.

Oh yeah, Standard disclaimer: just my opinion.