Note to New Members ×

UPZ boot size

zoltan

I'm looking at a used pair of UPZ boots and the seller only has this information:

THE TONGUE IS MARKED 7-9.5

THE UPPER SHELL IS MARKED 8.5-12.5

THE LOWER SHELL IS MARKED 8.5-9.5

ON THE OUTSIDE NEAR THE HEEL THEY ARE MARKED 312 MILLIMETERS

Does anyone know what MP size that would be?

Check post #8 in this thread: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?37993-UPZ-Boots-287mm-shell&highlight=mondo

Appears the table KC put together is not entirely accurate, but yes, 312 would cover 27.5cm to 28.2cm which equates to mondo point. The 8.5 to 9.5 is the EU shoe size.

Edited by dingbat

What is the liner size? the multiple size stamping on the different parts of the shell fit multiple, stock liner sizes. ie 7-9.5 will fit Euro size 7-9.5 liner. The liner size can usually be found on the outside and top of the liner in grey or silver writing on black liners...

I'm looking at a used pair of UPZ boots and the seller only has this information:

THE TONGUE IS MARKED 7-9.5

THE UPPER SHELL IS MARKED 8.5-12.5

THE LOWER SHELL IS MARKED 8.5-9.5

ON THE OUTSIDE NEAR THE HEEL THEY ARE MARKED 312 MILLIMETERS

Does anyone know what MP size that would be?

Looking at the sizing chart, http://www.skibootsizingcharts.com, the only way I could make sense of UPZ boot sizing stamps is this. The liner has a size printed on it (7.5, 8, 8.5, etc) which is the Mondo size minus 20cm. The lower shell can accept 3 different liner sizes which are embossed in the plastic toward the front of the heel. I have 27.7 cm feet, I ordered Mondo 27.5 boots from UPZ, the liner says "7.5" and the lower shell says "7/7.5/8" There's no way I could fit a US or even a UK size 7.5 boot. I've had 3 pairs.

It sounds like in Zoltan's case those boots could either be Mondo 28.5, 29.0 or 29.5 depending on the liner. I could of course be completely wrong.

The numbers inside of the shell that Zoltan is reading are the shell sizes in UK size from your chart. The reason they vary in range is that there is more variation in lower shell sizes than there is in upper shell (cuff) or tongue sizes. That is to say in there entire boot range UPZ probably has 2 or 3 sizes of cuffs, about 6 sizes of lower shells and 3 or 4 sizes of tongues. These markings would make it easy for a boot of size "X" to be assembled in the factory and other than the lower shell number which correlates to foot length aren't really of any use to you or I.

The 312mm on the outside of the shell corresponds to the sole length of the shell and is a UPZ size mondo 28. The 8.5-9.5 UK foot size on the lower shell is also centered on a mondo 28 in your chart.

Cheers,

Dave

BTW I wear an 11 or 11.5 US sized street shoe, but ride and wear mondo 28 UPZ boots (sIze 10 US).

Edited by Puddy Tat

The liner has a size printed on it (7.5, 8, 8.5, etc) which is the Mondo size minus 20cm.

Not quite. If you look at UPZ chart, you'll see that a size 8 liner corresponds to MP 26.5.

I have 27.7 cm feet, I ordered Mondo 27.5 boots from UPZ, the liner says "7.5" and the lower shell says "7/7.5/8" There's no way I could fit a US or even a UK size 7.5 boot. I've had 3 pairs.

I don't know if UPZ boots are actually larger than the number says, or if the shape is simply better. However, I (and others that I have heard of) can downsize with UPZ, compared to other hardboot brands.

E.g. I had a Deeluxe MP 29, which fit (shell/finger test was also o.k.). With UPZ, I am comfy in a size 10 liner, which corresponds to MP 28.2. The shell also seems shorter than the Deeluxe, though about equally long on the inside.

Not quite. If you look at UPZ chart, you'll see that a size 8 liner corresponds to MP 26.5.

I don't know if UPZ boots are actually larger than the number says, or if the shape is simply better. However, I (and others that I have heard of) can downsize with UPZ, compared to other hardboot brands.

E.g. I had a Deeluxe MP 29, which fit (shell/finger test was also o.k.). With UPZ, I am comfy in a size 10 liner, which corresponds to MP 28.2. The shell also seems shorter than the Deeluxe, though about equally long on the inside.

Thanks Aracan. I'd worn 27.5 boots from 3 other manufacturers and was trying to make the UPZ numbers make sense. Love the boots.

Why dont you just ask the guy if the bloody boot fits him with what ever liner is in there, what size is the liner and what is his MP? Simple! If he ownes the boots then wouldnt that be a very good reference? I have a 27 MP and my UPZ RC10's are 27. My liner is an Intuition Plug, size10..... wich according to Intuition's chart is larger than 27. .... But then I also have a 9.5, brand new Intuition liner that is supposed to be a 27 and is to short. Dibs anyone?

Why dont you just ask the guy if the bloody boot fits him with what ever liner is in there, what size is the liner and what is his MP? Simple! If he ownes the boots then wouldnt that be a very good reference? I have a 27 MP and my UPZ RC10's are 27. My liner is an Intuition Plug, size10..... wich according to Intuition's chart is larger than 27. .... But then I also have a 9.5, brand new Intuition liner that is supposed to be a 27 and is to short. Dibs anyone?

Would be good a reference as any, but foot shape has a lot to do with fit as well. My foot measures 27 as well and I am wearing a UPZ shell that fits 24.5-25.5 mondo. Yeah, the toe has some work done to it, but the ankle/cuff area is wonderful. So for instance, if I was selling my boots and someone asked what size my feet were and how'd my boots fit, it may not work out too well for them.

This is interesting from a different aspect than right MP size. Dingbat, please chime in! I suffer from heel lift even after Superfeet custom Corks and Intuition Plugs. I can not stand or suffer through tight toe box. My big toe nails wont tolerate it. So I have to make sure there is some wiggle room in the toe. For the life of me, I cant get the float out of the ankle and have tried to compensate by using more of the rest of me and less of my feet to keep my heels anchored....... I tried heel lifts and I hated it..... tried cants every which way, front and back.

My conclusion is to ride bent at the knee always and when the heel starts lifting, adjust evrything else to compensate.... drop down and go from there.... that doesnt seem right.

I suffer from heel lift even after Superfeet custom Corks and Intuition Plugs. I can not stand or suffer through tight toe box.

Wow. Heel lift and too little room in the front? In UPZs? Pardon me for saying so, but you have weird feet. I have been through all the HB models in the market, and for me, the UPZs offer the best heel hold and the widest toe box.

This is interesting from a different aspect than right MP size. Dingbat, please chime in! I suffer from heel lift even after Superfeet custom Corks and Intuition Plugs. I can not stand or suffer through tight toe box. My big toe nails wont tolerate it. So I have to make sure there is some wiggle room in the toe. For the life of me, I cant get the float out of the ankle and have tried to compensate by using more of the rest of me and less of my feet to keep my heels anchored....... I tried heel lifts and I hated it..... tried cants every which way, front and back.

My conclusion is to ride bent at the knee always and when the heel starts lifting, adjust evrything else to compensate.... drop down and go from there.... that doesnt seem right.

Yeah, what I suffer from is very similar. See this thread: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?37859-losing-big-toe-nail-repeatedly&p=380800#post380800

You can see my boot toe and liner toe in post #7. I'm in a 287mm UPZ with a thin heel lift and the toe work you can see in those pics. You may not want to down size as far as I did. I have to file my nail back and thin the edge just about every day and I've never had problems with my toenails in other boots. My issue is a big toe that extends straight forward directly in line with the inner edge of my foot that needs to stay in that orientation for me to pressure it. A tight toebox, or one that pushes the big toe in towards the foot, makes my big toe worthless to me and I can only pressure the balls of my feet. My ankles are crazy low volume though. Even in this boot I can generate some heel lift, but I don't feel it when riding. By far this is the best feeling boot I've ridden though (HSP 27-27.5, Raichle 324 26.5, and this boot) If I were you, I'd try and track someone down who's riding this shell size and ask them if they'd mind pulling the liner so you can stand your foot in it and see if it might work.

Wow. Heel lift and too little room in the front? In UPZs? Pardon me for saying so, but you have weird feet. I have been through all the HB models in the market, and for me, the UPZs offer the best heel hold and the widest toe box.

I'd agree 100%, but even being the best option, they still just barely make it for someone with a narrow heel and wide forefoot.

Edited by dingbat

Have you been to a bootfitter? They can get you into a smaller sized boot by modifying the shell. And can build up around the ankle slightly to help hold your foot down.

Like Aracan said UPZs have the narrowest heel and widest toe box. It does sound like you might be in the wrong size. Have you stood in the boot shell(no liner) with your foot all the way forward to see how much space is behind your heel? You shouldn't be able to get more than two fingers (stacked) between your heel and the rear of the shell.

I have a local "fitter" and he rocks at makin corks but I am better than him for cookin the liners. Trial and error convinced me. As far as the shell and fingers.... How does one get any fingers to the heel of of a UPZ shell, when your foot is in it too?

.. and another thing, not being mean.. just stating the plethora of prior posted fit ****... correct MP isnt that hard to figure and if that is true and correct, it further comes down to anatomical bafoonery.

I have skinny heels and like sausage toes... what to do... drop $$$$$$ coin on liners and corks and learn to ride better given my condition, Cuz I aint quittin because my heel wont stay home. But I gotta tell you, heel lift aside, I can stay booted up for 8 hrs and the pain isnt in my feet...... My guess is, Im still on the learning carve and.... "If your going to be stupid, you better be tuff!" Im trying, really I am!