Note to New Members ×

Advice needed.

c4isTheAnswer

There used to be 3 manufacturers in the business: Head/Blax, UPZ and Deeluxe. From what I know, Head has stopped producing hardboots, although you may still find them NOS or slightly used.

UPZ offers one basic shell shape in 3 different flavors and degrees of stiffness. UPZs are generally narrow in the heel, with a wide toebox.

Deeluxe has two shell shapes, one symmetric, one asymmetric.

At the end of the day, though, the best boot for you is the one that fits best, and a good fit can only be ascertained on the snow. Try as many as you can.

Unfortunately, I live in Interior Alaska. Alpine riding being a niche sport there are no retailers for snowboard hardboots. Online sizing guides and luck are my best options.

Bomberonline sells boots, and I'm sure they have lots of experience sizing mail orders. Why don't you contact them and let them help you? The Thermoflex liners also really help in getting a good fit.

I appreciate the advice!I have a wide foot, but skinny ankles. I needed heel straps for my soft boots to prevent heel lift. Sounds like I have plenty of options to look into now. Three weeks to wait for my board, and another three for a decent base to carve here in the Interior; plenty of time to research.

• 1 month later...