Note to New Members ×

suggestions for road bike parts/components source?

davekempmeister

They have Ridley frames in three levels from 299-349 that are a way to custom assemble a sub $1800,sub 18lb bike that would outperform many current $3000 models.When I had a storefront I used Nashbar as one of my distributors to specialize in 'custom assembly',using mostly up to date tech but new old stock.My tri bike was built this way and has done me right:-)Of course there are deals on GT and FUJI with them too.

They have Ridley frames in three levels from 299-349 that are a way to custom assemble a sub $1800,sub 18lb bike that would outperform many current $3000 models.When I had a storefront I used Nashbar as one of my distributors to specialize in 'custom assembly',using mostly up to date tech but new old stock.My tri bike was built this way and has done me right:-)Of course there are deals on GT and FUJI with them too.

thanks Steve. I'm looking to freshen up a 10 year old Litespeed. Cassette, chain, cables, maybe a new wheelset, etc. No new builds in the near future although I have pieced together my last two bikes with ebay, Nashbar and Performance. Just on looks, PARLEE is the fantasy next bike. love the ingenuity of those things - fresh. all the best.

thanks Steve. I'm looking to freshen up a 10 year old Litespeed. Cassette, chain, cables, maybe a new wheelset, etc. No new builds in the near future although I have pieced together my last two bikes with ebay, Nashbar and Performance. Just on looks, PARLEE is the fantasy next bike. love the ingenuity of those things - fresh. all the best.

Funny,I breezed right through your original post and thought I was seeing that Nashbar level was what you were looking for;my mistake.Haha:-)

ebay.

I could ramble on/on about the topic....but the short version is that pricing has stabilized and there are enough people buying on ebay than it sets the online standard.

FWIW - the best value in groupo is SRAM Rival.

With 11 speed Dura Ace coming,DuraAce 7900 10 speed parts should be dropping in price on ebay,or mail order for that matter, soon.I've been thinking in that direction for my next road bike as I had sold most of my road equipment to finance ironman a couple of years ago.

With 11 speed Dura Ace coming,DuraAce 7900 10 speed parts should be dropping in price on ebay,or mail order for that matter, soon.I've been thinking in that direction for my next road bike as I had sold most of my road equipment to finance ironman a couple of years ago.[/quote

I am partial to 9 spd 11-23 or 12-25 & 180 crank arms. the dura ace stuff is overpriced when compared to the nearly as impressive Ultegra stuff. i think i'm just nostalgic (or maybe a snob). i'm sure i'd love campy stuff but only ever rode it on steel frames way back and now i avoid it so that i don't run the risk of a whole new outlet for my $.

I was attending the Amgen Tour of California this weekend and got to take a spin on a BMC SL01 equipped with Electronic Ultegra. All I can say is WOW. Just a little tap to the inner paddle (the brake lever is no longer involved in shifting) and it bangs off gears quickly. What is awesome is to see the front derailleur auto-adjust to whatever gear you are running in the back to alleviate chain rub.

We hung out with the Reynolds Wheels crew, Reynolds provides wheels to team AG2R. It was awesome to see the excitement of the Reynolds crew's faces when they found out that Sylvain Georges won the Big Bear stage on a breakaway.

• 3 weeks later...

I scored a couple of new/old stock, discontinued dura ace bottom brackets with most desirable specs. must be what a wine collector feels like when they clutch the prize. so happy, i think i'll just stack the boxes on a shelf in the work area for a bit just to look at. This developed after so many leads didn't pan out that I would not allow myself to believe it until I opened the box after delivery.

Ultegra is great stuff, I know. Just bothers me going out of group and if one is to sell, it makes a difference in how the potential buyer views the bike.

Dave, FYI, the Lehigh Valley Velodrome has a (flea market) sale twice a year. Vendors & sellers come from all over. All kinds of new & used goodies ( bikes, parts, clothing, etc.).

The Spring sale is past, but they'll have one also in the Fall. If you're seriously looking to buy new, that's usually the one to be at since the dealers are looking to unload the current year stuff to make room for next years models. I bought a new $2300 (list) Cannondale road bike a few years back for $1000.

I scored a couple of new/old stock, discontinued dura ace bottom brackets with most desirable specs. must be what a wine collector feels like when they clutch the prize. so happy, i think i'll just stack the boxes on a shelf in the work area for a bit just to look at. This developed after so many leads didn't pan out that I would not allow myself to believe it until I opened the box after delivery.

Ultegra is great stuff, I know. Just bothers me going out of group and if one is to sell, it makes a difference in how the potential buyer views the bike.

Dave,I agree with you on the DA 9 components.I used to buy and sell nos DA and Ultegra and other semi-vintage parts like a commodity on ebay to help finance my road racing.Loved using DA 9 and still think it had the best combination of understated beauty and excellent function.

Dave,I agree with you on the DA 9 components.I used to buy and sell nos DA and Ultegra and other semi-vintage parts like a commodity on ebay to help finance my road racing.Loved using DA 9 and still think it had the best combination of understated beauty and excellent function.

once in awhile someone offers to buy my 12-15 year old DA seat post right out from under my.......... I always say; "how will I get home?" not that I'd sell anyway.

Square taper or Octa link?

octalink, 109.5, 68mm and english. saw a nos Dura Ace anniversary group in it's case and had to log off, just too dangerous.

i have a Klein Quantum (15 years old/aluminum) that's next in line for long awaited attention.

then, a 20 year old Cannondale.

then..............