Note to New Members ×

Is this possible?

ecshredder

The ability to slow yourself down carving heelside on steep/hardpack conditions on a normal freeride board with softboots and angles about 15deg. I always build speed up on heelsides. I saw a guy doing it once but with much higher angles. If it is possible I guess I'll keep trying.

Should be possible, but the heel-cup overhang at 15 degrees is going to limit how tightly you can carve a turn on heelside to control your speed. That is to say from looking at your avatar I don't think you could put the board as high on edge in a heelside as you have it on toeside without burying the heel cups and lifting the edge out of the snow. In order to solve the geometrical issue you could try a riser.

I don't think so, unless you get free ride boards from reputable alpine board manufacturers eg coiler donek swoard virus etc...

I can't point out exactly but I recon flex pattern for average freeride boards is "wrong" for g-force carving. And with 15 degrees rear there will be boot out at the heel cup. I fount it out hard way, tried with never summer Titan and ended up dislocating my left shoulder due to washout.

Definitely. Skill and setup are the key of course. As stated, you need to minimize boot out. This can be done with board width. risers, binding angles, and properly centering your boot/binding on the board. When setting up bindings, it's important to look at possible angulation, not total overhang. Lay a straight edge against the board edge and the boot to see what angle you will boot out. You'll find both feet are centered differently because the board is narrower at the heel on the front foot and narrower at the toe on the back foot. Check out this video:

Edited by Donek