Note to New Members ×

New to the forum, soft booter looking to carve harder....

ginofultano

Hi guys, I just wanted to introduce myself. I've been riding softboots for about 6 years. I really like bombing groomers and carving turns, so I want to try hardbooting, but in the meantime I would like to at least get my soft setup riding proper. I just got a rossignol the experience 164 and I love it. I need a new set of bindings and I'm thinking about the power plate system. Does anyone have suggestions for soft boot bindings that would pair well with that setup? BTW I ride mostly east coast sheets of ice and groomers. I love riding powder, but living in NJ I really only see it when traveling west.

Power plate? Are you refering to the Palmer power link system? If so, they work great. I run them on my FRS with Burton C-60s. The set-up works well.

We're done for the season up here, but if you want to try hard boots, look me up next season and I'll get you out on our demo fleet. If you get out west regularly, look up Bomber and Donek to try some gear out.

Ginofultano, for get the soft stuff and go all in, you will not regret it. The difference between a full alpine set up and a hybrid are ten fold. Try to get a rig on here used would be my recommendation. You will reap the benefits!

D

Gino, welcome from another NJ rider who recently made the move from softies to hard boots. I used to swear by my old three strap Burton Torques with soft boots, but making the move to hard boots and plates made a HUGE difference. I think you'll find even the crappy conditions we get here on the ice coast will be fun again once you're riding an alpine set up. So far, I've been able to tackle pretty much any terrain with the alpine set up, with the exception of heavily bumped up trails (which I try to avoid anyway). I'm keeping the soft boot board for now, but as I get better with the alpine board, the former may end up on the auction block.

Hi Gino,

I'm on the Power Plates and I like them a lot. I have them paired with Nidecker Carbon bindings--which can be hard to come by. (You can pick up Nidecker Pro 800's sometimes on Ebay. They're a little softer, but should still work well.) It's tough finding truly stiff softboot bindings for carving--or stiff boots for that matter. If you have some $, the Burton Diodes look nice :)