Note to New Members ×

June or Mammoth?

trikerdad

Mammoth is huge. If you go there focus on a small part of the mountain. The afternoon on a holiday weekend will be pretty bumped up on most runs.

What level does your son ski/board? If he is a strong intermediate I would head up from Canyon Lodge to Chair 25. There is great variety on that chair and usually has no crowds. Avoid the bottom of the mountain and you will have less time in a lift line.

I'd go with June if i only had a holliday-sunday to make turns...

Cheaper (13$Diff)

Wide open groomers

Grooming is better than Mammoth

Probably way less of a crowd

Wait for multiple non-holiday days for Mammoth . .

Then again, you can’t go wrong with either. . Mammoth Rocks, regardless. JMHO

:D

http://www.junemountain.com/trail_map/

Go with Mammoth in general.

June has good grooming, true, but it is not particularly steep, and IMHO it is boring and the lifts are in some pretty odd places - on some of the runs you end up having to bomb across these big flats - especially around that lame cafe at the midstation.

Mammoth gets quite crowded, but if it is blowing up the slopes, and buffing out the cornice bowl and scotties, then go for some high speed blasts using either the gondola (all the way through the crowds on chair 1 area or chair 23 respectively). Just in terms of speed, it is hard to beat the gondola's speed; what about 8 minutes for a 1km of vert. You could easily do 4 or 5 runs in an hour and wear your self out most nicely!

The nice open groomers though will be fairly crowded... halfway between warming hut and the main side are a few easy groomers; super slow chairs, but not so crowded. Chair 12 side sucks. Backside is too hard to get to, and wastes time. Chair 18/Chair 2 (I think the names may have changed now) are the best carving runs, BUT like chair 1 they may be quite crowded.

A lot of the imports from LA have to drive back so often the afternoons of a holiday weekend might now be quite as bad as you think. You may also be able to snag a cheap pass off someone else doing a halfday - check on this board maybe even!

It depends though; with not much time, June does have its merits; half a day is not enough time to get bored with the about 5 good runs on the upper mountain (the top right side is the best area, if I recall correctly); although you have to waste time going up to the midstation I suppose.

Plus June is basically all easy groomers which is probably what you are looking for. If you could somehow tilt June up an extra 10 degrees it would probably be quite a good mountain, as it is I have no idea how it manages to stay in business ;-)

Kip