Note to New Members ×

Base Grind

Futahaguro

So I am curious about the base grind that came with my new Prior BX. I just waxed it, without any bindings screwed on to get it as flat as possible, and I noticed that from the nose to just past the front inserts it seems to have a high/low/high/low/high/low/high profile. The high spots seem to have some structure but the low spots are smooth. There was disclosure on the Prior website when I bought it that the nose was ground a little too much so I probably cannot grind it but they didn't say anything about a crappy grind. I knew that and didn't mind because I never grind it but I was just curious. Also, how can you tell when there is no more to grind away?

Edit: From the pictures it looks more like just one low spot in the middle but when I was waxing it I could tell from the melting that there were three low spots like a striped wall.

basegrind1.JPG

basegrind2.JPG

Edited by Futahaguro

If you are lucky............ you know when to stop grinding just before the wood and glass start showing through the base. A more helpful but equally as unscientific method is to observe how much edge thickness remains but this is only good if the core is/was perfectly flat before and after the board was assembled. A hand made board is going to show more character than a factory board and a hand grind on a board is not as accurate as decking an engine block on a milling machine. Sorry to say the black base doesn't help in guesstimating how much material remains on the base.

That's what you get for waxing your board!

You can't tell how flat your base is from scraping wax or how bad the structure is. Have you put a true bar on it? Can you see that it's high and low or just assuming from the structure? Does it affect the ride?

Edited by dingbat

That's what you get for waxing your board!

You can't tell how flat your base is from scraping wax or how bad the structure is. Have you put a true bar on it? Can you see that it's high and low or just assuming from the structure? Does it affect the ride?

True bar - I do not have an official true bar but I used my metal 2' level and I could see some light through at some points but it wasn't too bad. The dimples from the inserts, a different thread all together, raised it up.

Ride - I'm not splitting hairs so I doubt I could tell if it was effecting the ride. It moves out just fine so I will just leave it and keep it nicely waxed.

Thanks for the info.