Note to New Members ×

Going around in Circles

Slow Eddie

Okay, this is one of the skills I have yet to master. Any tips on how to get it done? Is there a particular speed, technique, or terrain feature that makes it easier? On a groomed East Coast blue that is relatively "level" with a single fall line, I can initiate a toeside turn at 12 o'clock (let's assume that 12 is the highest point of this turn), come into, across, and up the fall line, but I run out of gas at about 10 o'clock and pretty much fall over at low speed. If I had some magic hands to help me finish the turn, I think it would be a pretty mild, but decreasing radius, i.e. I would be coming back to 12 o'clock only a yard or two downhill of where I started. I start the turn by pressuring the nose pretty aggressively, and then swing my weight further back through the turn so that by the time I fall over (I always fall over), I am loading the tail pretty good and could wheelie pretty easy. Oh - the deck is usually a Nidecker Tornado GS 168, and boot-out isn't an issue.

Thanks!

those orange caution/slow markers are good :D

anyway what I do is come in at a speed is at the lower end that I would ride that particular board

now I start to do a wide carve centered not too much pressure on the nose when I start to head back up hill I get up front and really bend the hell out of the board by now I should be starting to head down hill again start to ease out of the turn a little and you should be close to where you started

for me the easiest boards to do this with are semi long GS stuff around 180 with 15m or so sidecut

if the snow is soft it can be done with the really long stuff, that is a blast but takes a good bit more room

a couple years ago there was a guy on a madd 158 that was doing them and was finishing his circle by poping up in a tail wheelie

flat on the tail of the board and twirling in place, it was sick