Note to New Members ×

Any other handicapped boarders out there?

Pusbag

I have been snowboarding since 1985 and I have yet to meet another gimp ass boarder. I would enjoy meeting another one. We could trade secrets for how we address snowboarding and our infliction. Thought I would see if this brings up any. My gift is polio in my left leg. I address this with a custom board with inserts that accomidate my 12 inch stance. Catek bindings for the extreme canting options. I use a garmont at boot because it has the least amount of forward lean built into the boot. I also wear 4 wool socks and 4 more 1/2 socks with just the shin section remaining. Thanks for listening.

That's interesting, I've recently become involved with adaptive skiing/boarding. I had actually been thinking of your situation. I knew someone who had polio as a kid and used a single ski (three track). More recently, I had been thinking they might have had a better experience with a Skwal, where their weaker leg might have played some role. I took a clinic with some people from the adaptive program at Beaver Creek and they hadn't heard of a Skwal before.

Anyway, :biggthump

Sounds like you have adapted well to the challenge, with some fairly simple but thought out changes/equipment, :biggthump. While not technically handicapped I've managed to reduce the strength in my right leg a significant amount due to breaking it twice, the last time 2 1/2 years ago needed multiple operations, pins, plates, screws and bone grafts. Sooooo I was an avid skier and am now looking at a carving board to get back on the hill. Visited a board shop in SLC a few weeks ago that carried a few carving boards but they didn't have anyone there really up to speed on the sport, good group of folks though, very friendly and they tried to help. Anyway seems like a good way to get back on the hill and have some fun with my buddies here on the "least coast" and ultimately get out west and get back into it. The Skwal deal, if I understand it sounds like a carving board with a different foot position, more like slalom water skiing than boarding?????

The Skwal deal, if I understand it sounds like a carving board with a different foot position, more like slalom water skiing than boarding?????

Yes, it's one foot behind the other, with normally just a slight angle on the bindings. Hopefully someone with more Skwal experience than me will chime in, but I road one occasionally for a few years. From my experience with it, it seemed it would be possible to ride it mainly with the front leg, although with mine I found it worked best with a real feeding the dollar bill movement. So for me the rear leg would take some weight in the second half of the turn and would need some extension to move you forward for the next turn. Whether a more static rear leg technique could be adapted, I can't be sure. Wish I still had one to experiment with. Anyway, to me it looked a better solution than three tracking on one ski for some people.

So I have seen a few skwals in my day. Wouldn,t mind trying one out for fun. I wouldn't replace my board however. A snowboard is way more universal than a skwal. Skwals don't like 2 feet of pow like my boards do. As for the weak leg I ride weak leg first. My weak leg can not support my weight hence the narrow stance. As for the hardboots, I find that hardboots require less energy and movement in order to make the board preform. Had opportunity to handicap ski when I was a kid. I balked on the idea then just didn't think of my self as one. I am also inviting you all to a carving event up @ schweitzer on feb 20-26. I could hook you up with free demos and a instructor too. We will have early load privledges on tues and thursday of that week. We have a thread in rideboard for idaho called NICE. You could also call me russ 208-290-8023.

Sounds interesting, I'm definitely going to keep digging through all the newbie FAQ stuff on board and boot "stuff" before heading to Denver next month on a business trip and hopefully a side trip by Bomber to chat with the folks one on one. Realistically it'll be next season before I'm ready to commit to some on snow activity but it's sounding pretty good. 2 years ago I didn't think I was going to walk again and now I'm talking about getting back up on the hill so that's pretty cool.

back in 92 or 93 I attended the first adult session at High Cascade Snowboard camp at Mt Hood. There was a guy in my group (all the hardbooters) who rode with a prostetic on his back leg. I think his name was Chris? Anyway, I never realized when he on the hill except that he'd drag a hand a lot to force his turn which I just though was his style.... then one afternoon I saw him in town with shorts on and saw the leg.... never would have guess! I would think snowboarding would be much easier for those with a gimpy leg than skiing.... it's really cool to see the advances in adaptive snowboarding. There was an article about it in the PSIA / AASI magazine last year, I think. I have a friend who's 14 year old son had a leg amuptated recently due to bone cancer... I saw some pictures of him 3 track skiing, but maybe one day he'll try snowboarding.

I love Mt. Hood, took several summer ski camps there. You think you're pretty fast until the pros run in the lane next to you at two or three times the speed, amazing stuff. There was a hardbooter, instructor in one of our groups, don't remember what year (early/mid 90's) or his name but he rocked. Bad deal on your buddies son, but it sounds like he's going for it and isn't let it slow him down much.

John Calkins was our coach... and the assistant was Dave someone (I think).... can't remember.... both rode Agression Stealth boards.... and I remember the one time Dave was carrying the camera (I still have that video somewhere, I'm sure) and dropped into the half-pipe and launched some big air! (at least, I was pretty impressed!)

So hey steve when next season rolls around I would be happy to loan you some gear while you visited. I would also love to spend some time out on the slopes to get you going. Then you'd be able to make a better decision without being obligated to buy anything. I could also steer you torwards board makers willing to customize a board to your particular needs. I wish I would have done this years ago myself. It made a night and day diffrence for the better.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what did polio do to your leg exactly?
No I don't mind you asking. My left polio leg is 1 1/2 inches shorter, is way smaller also. Like a size 5 and a size 9 shoesize on my good leg which is a monster. My little leg is weak with not a lot of muscle to it. I can touch my thumb to my middle finger around my lower leg. I walk with a limp but board like a dream. There is footage of me on youtube. Video is called WTF 2010 part 1. I wear a black hmk sled jacket.

Thanks for the offer Russ, if things work out, and I hope they do, I might be in a position to take you up on the kind offer. In looking at your post #12, we are just about opposite at least on the size issue. With the bone grafts and muscle flap they added to cover the exposed bone my lower leg is actually larger than the other but due to the internal damage to the muscle probably 50% weaker and with less range of motion.

Why all those socks? Why not get boots fitted properly? I suppose you'd have to buy two pair to really get it right, but it seems to me that you'd want any/all performance you can get out of the weak leg. There was a bootfitter where I worked in France who'd had polio as a child. He was awesome at building up the sole of boots to add like 3-4cm of height. There are definitely ski bootfitters out there who could do that for your Garmont boots. And I bet you could find a slightly used AT boot in a size 5 pretty cheap on TGR or another forum. Throw in an Intuition liner and the fit should be miles better than the multi-sock routine.

Why all those socks? Why not get boots fitted properly? I suppose you'd have to buy two pair to really get it right, but it seems to me that you'd want any/all performance you can get out of the weak leg. There was a bootfitter where I worked in France who'd had polio as a child. He was awesome at building up the sole of boots to add like 3-4cm of height. There are definitely ski bootfitters out there who could do that for your Garmont boots. And I bet you could find a slightly used AT boot in a size 5 pretty cheap on TGR or another forum. Throw in an Intuition liner and the fit should be miles better than the multi-sock routine.
I have tried that and just hurts the little leg since there is nothing but bone and skin. I even get alittle soreness now if I ride multiple days in a row or tighten the boot too tight. I am able to get performance and comfort this way and did I say cheaper. My intuition liners also help. Gsrsteve might find he needs extra padding too time will tell. I have 50% or less leg strength in my weak leg so steve will be shredding sometime soon.

@ Pusbag It is a great thing that you could enjoy yourself on snow.

Have you tried this?

http://www.manoove.com/

I have a lot of problems with one leg due to a motorbike accident.

My left one is 3 cm longer, my ligaments of the knee and ankle are floppy, some meniscus are gone, the diameter of my left quadricep at knee highness is 7 cm diameter less than right one.

That's not polio but I cannot run but I've started enjoying snowboarding 24 years ago because I cannot ski anymore.

Once I've met a guy who has spina bifida who carves very well.

@ GSXRSteve

What kind of setup do you use?

@ Pusbag It is a great thing that you could enjoy yourself on snow.Have you tried this?http://www.manoove.com/I have a lot of problems with one leg due to a motorbike accident.My left one is 3 cm longer, my ligaments of the knee and ankle are floppy, some meniscus are gone, the diameter of my left quadricep at knee highness is 7 cm diameter less than right one.That's not polio but I cannot run but I've started enjoying snowboarding 24 years ago because I cannot ski anymore.Once I've met a guy who has spina bifida who carves very well. @ GSXRSteveWhat kind of setup do you use?[/quote A custom prior 4x4 with inserts and flex pattern modified. Check out 1st post of this too. Catek os2. Garmont at boots. Great idea I will be checking out this manoove product might be better for me. Thanks for your input.