Note to New Members ×

Volkl RennTiger 178 GT with with Trench Digger 2 bindings- New Guy

mdevine

Ready to make the transition from my freeride board to an alpine (been riding for 20+ years now- ugh). Want to start off fairly inexpensive- but something that can last me 2-3 years to start off. Is the Volkl RennTiger 178 GT with with Trench Digger 2 bindings a decent setup to get rolling.

any thoughts were I can find a cheap pair of hard boots in 29.5?

Thanks

Ready to make the transition from my freeride board to an alpine (been riding for 20+ years now- ugh). Want to start off fairly inexpensive- but something that can last me 2-3 years to start off. Is the Volkl RennTiger 178 GT with with Trench Digger 2 bindings a decent setup to get rolling.

any thoughts were I can find a cheap pair of hard boots in 29.5?

Thanks

dont know how big or small you are... so can't comment too much on the size.

my 2 cents..-- and there are several on the Forsale forum, I think Andy still has his 174 -. if you are transitioning then go with an all mountain bard to start.. like a Prior 4X4 aka 4WD.. easy to ride and learn,,, and plus if you are getting into alpine.. you need an All Mountain or an AM board in the quiver anyway so why not start off with one.. it will be easy -- I also have a RT 178 and would not suggest it for a first ride in hardboots.

180 lbs. 6'0

Live in NY, but do most of my riding in Utah and Colorado.

I have an attic full of freeride boards- favorite right now is a reverse camber Sierra.

I like to ride glades, bumps, and powder. After prior comments it sounds like an all mtn board would be for me.

Thanks for all the advice. Leaving for Vail in two weeks and hope to get equipment in time if possible.

mdevine,

Where are you riding? How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

RT 178 might be a perfect board for a 210# guy in the central Rockies to start out on. It could be a nightmare for a 165# guy at a small East Coast ski area.

180 lbs. 6'0

I have an attic full of freeride boards- favorite right now is a reverse camber Sierra.

I like to ride glades, bumps, and powder. After prior comments it sounds like an all mtn board would be for me.

Thanks for all the advice. Leaving for Vail in two weeks and hope to get equipment in time if possible.

If you can do a small side tripp-- go to Bomber -- the wonderful host of this fine forum.. they demo boards, boots and all... go there -- outfit yourself with thier help,, and then go to Vail and tear it up..

they would be your best on hand advice...

happy trails..

180 lbs. 6'0

Additionly I would add in your transition.. you are currently riding boards that are probably around a 8.5 m side cut radius... with a 178 Rt which is a great riding board.. but keep in mind that bad boy has about a 12.5 m side cut radius. quite a change. All mountain boards like a 4x4 in 174 length --- are about a 10 m SC radius.. at your 6 ' and 180 lbs -- the 174 would be perfect. IMO

I have quite a collection of 4X4s in 168, 174 and 179 and in the Volkl Rt I have the 168, 173 and the 178 ,, Ride all them but of these I would put the 174 4X4 board of choice for the terrain of which you say you like to ride. Too bad you are so far away -- I 'd let you ride them and see for yourself... I am 6'3 @ 210 lbs.. not to far from your size. The 168 is a ball to ride on busy days - it is like a hot Mini Cooper with all wheel drive.

TD2 are great to use too... Step in is the way to go in my opinion but Uh Ho-- just opened that can of worms again!!!...

If you are planning on demoing gear from Bomber make sure you contact them before you arrive in CO so that they can be there to set you up with demos.You could bring your rentiger and ride it on the groomed runs and demo an all mountain board from bomber if they have one for demo? Let them know what you are interested in demoing.I would not reccomend riding soft boot decks with hardboots as most of the newer ones are too soft and are not strong enough to withstand the extra force you will be putting on them with hardboots. You might pull inserts out?

All...thanks for your help. I ended up buying a 3 year old used Prior 4WD, Catek OS2 Binding, and Head Stratos Boots- came out to $500.

Can I bring this board to a traditional ski store to get waxed/sharpened?

I plan on following this guide for getting the bindings installed/setup- http://www.alpinecarving.com/binding_setup.html

Thanks!!

You might want to talk to the person who actually does the tuning and watch. Edges are likely sharpened with a grinding wheel, which often means poor control over angle, too much material taken off, and maybe overheating. Waxing is often done with a buffer, and the surface coating you get will come off quickly. So not only is it not worth your money, you may damage your board. Better to take the money and get some basic hand-tuning tools. A stone for the edges, a guide, a bar of wax, maybe an iron, a Wax Whizzard (Ray's Way), a scraper and brush. Read up on tuning in Carvers' Almanac and/or the Tognar catalog (www.tognar.com).