Note to New Members ×

Backcountry hardbooting boards

Knowfish

Need board for ungroomed terrain -modern boards just sink with flat noses. Board should carve well on cord and have the ability to handle trees and powder. Any suggestions?

(I usually get demoted to off-topic when talking about off-piste stuff here)

I think it depends what type of terrain you're riding. I just finished a couple of weeks riding what I'm told is a *park board* with hard boots in heli/cat powder... I'd not have thought that would work, but it was actually very good. The de-cambered nose worked fine in everything from upside-down snow through blower. And that board wasn't even tapered, plus it looked narrow enough to work ok on hard pack, should you have to ride that.

Modern boards (well, possibly USA aside) tend to be smaller and to ride lower, but that's no issue if you're the right weight. Well, to avoid the usual arguments: longer boards have a higher top speed and accelerate faster, but my favourite terrain is steep trees, where length tends to work against most people.

I think you just have to try a few things and see what works in the terrain you're riding.