Note to New Members ×

Go west, middle-aged man!

scrapster

Hey All,

Looking to meet up with some fellow riders in the Summit County area and search out the best snow from 12/15 to 12/19. I'll be based in Frisco. I do have the hair-brained idea of maybe heading to Wolf Creek on Friday or Saturday. (I rarely get out west and want to make the most of it.) So, if anyone's game for a road-trip... Otherwise, I'll be happily sampling the local mountains.

Hey All,

Looking to meet up with some fellow riders in the Summit County area and search out the best snow from 12/15 to 12/19. I'll be based in Frisco. I do have the hair-brained idea of maybe heading to Wolf Creek on Friday or Saturday. (I rarely get out west and want to make the most of it.) So, if anyone's game for a road-trip... Otherwise, I'll be happily sampling the local mountains.

You might want to check with some locals before you plan on traveling a long ways to hit up a resort because the snow levels aren't so great right now. Wolf Creek had an awesome opening, but I don't know how they've been since then. We are dry as a bone here in Aspen.

That said, I hope to see you Sunday because I do believe Jim Callen and I will be making a cameo at Lovey!

Hey Angie, Thanks! Looks like the San Juans have been pounded a few more times since October and will be at the epicenter of the storms moving through this week. Wolf Creek is rockin'. Luckily, Summit should catch a moderate snowfall on Tue/Wed and maybe again this coming weekend. (The map below shows expected snow totals for Tues through Thursday.) So I'm hopeful either way!

I'll most definitely be at Lovey on Sunday unless an epic storm hits somewhere nearby ;) Look forward to riding with everyone!

post-6931-141842353091_thumb.jpg

You might want to check with some locals before you plan on traveling a long ways to hit up a resort because the snow levels aren't so great right now. Wolf Creek had an awesome opening, but I don't know how they've been since then. We are dry as a bone here in Aspen.

That said, I hope to see you Sunday because I do believe Jim Callen and I will be making a cameo at Lovey!

Hey Angie,

Having never been there, what's the scoop on Aspen? It looks like they picked up a little snow last night. If I were to head over there on Friday or Saturday, is there a preferred mountain for carving? And how much would the lift ticket likely run me :eek:? Thanks!

Hey Angie,

Having never been there, what's the scoop on Aspen? It looks like they picked up a little snow last night. If I were to head over there on Friday or Saturday, is there a preferred mountain for carving? And how much would the lift ticket likely run me :eek:? Thanks!

Well, we got about 3" - 6" depending on the mountain, but it was much needed. I was at Aspen Mountain yesterday and it is still very manmade. That said, there is some killer carving here (which is why the SES is here), but its a game time decision as to which mountain is in the best shape at any given time. I'd say the gamble right now would be Snowmass, since they were the big winners from the storm that came through last night, and I know the runs they have open are good for carving.

As far as the other mountains go, here's my assessment: Buttermilk is in ok shape from what I've heard, but the fun carving stuff under Tiehack hasn't been groomed yet, so it would get boring real fast. Highlands can be good for carving when the snow/grooming is good, but I don't know if some of the good carving runs are even open right now. Aspen has fun carving too, namely Ruthie's, which I was on yesterday...its a little firm. It was the World Cup course, so I think it was injected. Copper Bowl, another favorite there is in horrid condition.

So alllll that said, a lift ticket is going to run you $100. I don't think its worth it right now. Jim [Callen] and I are going to hit up Sunlight (in Glenwood) on Friday, so I might check out Snowmass tomorrow and could give you a better idea of how its riding.

Thanks Angie! With the timing of this trip, I'm setting my expectations pretty low. I guess finding the most open trails with the least rocks and people will be my holy grail--and I'm willing to pay a little extra or travel a little farther if that's attainable. With a kid on the way next month, this is my last big trip for the foreseeable future. My champagne powder dreams will have to wait a while longer. ;)

I'm setting my expectations pretty low. I guess finding the most open trails with the least rocks and people will be my holy grail

Well Aspen sure won't disappoint in that department. The rocks aren't horrible - coverage is pretty good at Aspen. I guess I keep forgetting that you guys have had LESS snow than us back east.

If you head to Aspen, make sure to let Jim and I know! We'll be seeing you at Lovey Sunday, but it'll be fun to see you on our turf too!