Note to New Members ×

Ordering a new board for East Coast trails...

icebiker

I bought a Donek "custom" over the summer and have four days on it so far this season. Technically it's an FC with rubber dampening, very low camber, stiff for my 6'/200#, variable side cut, blunt tip.

Coming from "normal" snowboards, this thing really scared me as I pulled it out of the box, but once it was on my feet it was a dream to ride. I'd even go as far as to say that it turns easier than any of my other boards (Prior MFR, Hammer, Rossi).

I did get a shorter board, 165cm, but with the actual edge it ride fast and stable. The board is 23.5cm to accomodate angles of 42/45 with a mondo 30 boot (UPZ 27.5).

I think you're going to need to get those angles closer together (five degrees of diffeence) or you'll never find a happy medium; i.e board will always be too narrow for back foot or too wide for front foot.

Sean makes a great board, custom to your needs for the same price as a factory board by other mfgs, and it's at least as good, probably better.

Where else can you specifiy tip and tail style, top and bottom graphics, metal or rubber, build structure, sidecut and dimensions, and USA built and bred?

BTW, I'm a East Coast rider too, but three of those days were at Brighton Utah last week. Yes, it totally sucked :p

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a chance to rail the new Donek this past week at Tremblant. Conditions were manmade groom the first few days, then 8" of fresh powder followed by packed powder. Windy as all get out, so some spots were icy.

The new board exceeded my expectations! It was simply a total game changer for me and moved me to a new level of confidence in turns, at speed, and in the chop. The variable sidecut made it easy to carve both wide as well as tighten up the arc/turn by weighting the front (which has a tighter SCR). The rear taper made a huge difference in releasing from turns. The flex Sean built into it for my weight neutralized pretty much any chop I encountered, even at speed..it was like a hot knife in butter. Even on some of the harder/icy spots the board just held. I even took it into a terrain park to slash some of the walls...no problem. I had a 5h1t-eating grin on me on every run (though no-one could see it since I was full-face-mask due to the cold and wind.

Everyone's advice was spot on...in particular the point about moving my rear angle in from 35. I am now 45 in rear (still 50 in front, but that feels right). Thanks again for all the tips.

Can't wait to take it out again. Teach/Nick...still want to do the Camelback day, but Mother Nature's playing hard to get....