Note to New Members ×

Marthas Vineyard Massachussetts Favor??

www.oldsnowboards.com

Hi John. Eventually this item needs to be brought back here to the Portland area. Either packaged up and shipped or transported via traveler flying or driving. It is a rather significant vintage surfboard (to me at least).

I would be providing the cost of packaging and shipping costs up front. I would be happy to pay gas and some incentive. Lunch? Beer (after it is returned to your home safely of course) It may need to be stored for a time. I am not in a hurry to get it back here, somewhat in a hurry to get it picked up. (current owner is not willing to ship it) and it must be moved fairly soon.

If a guy has the space and an understanding wife, I would think it would be a rather cool item to have on display for a time. Understood it would not be there for "Too long". In other words I would try to not let it outstay it's welcome. That and I am anxious to see it in person myself. It may be that someone could pick it up and hold it temporarily while I arrange it's processing and handling by someone else? Key first step is to get it in one of our trusted BOL members hands. They would have to find time to arrange pick up with owner, then travel to and return with a large surfboard on their vehicle.

So they would likely need a rack that is surfboard worthy or a longbed truck/van?

I would be happy to send photos and details to any prospective good samaritans

Thanks, Bryan

Will the seller bring/send it across the sound or do you need some one to go on island for it?

Another good question. I will contact the seller. I believe when he said he would not ship it that he expects it to be picked up where it is.

I am not familiar with the area. Sounds like going to the Island is way out of the way?

If they are willing to take it to the mainland, where should I ask them to drop it?

Just requires a ferry ride which kind of precludes just swinging in on your way by.

I've got a friend with a house in Chatham who, if he happens to be headed out sometime soon, might be willing to grab it on the way by if it were in America rather than on island.

Another thought, Scrappy works with Trustees of Reservations. I know they have properties on the islands. He might know someone who can hold it out there.

Thanks Dingbat.

The seller is willing to hold it for a while (paid for of course).

This will give me a little time to sort out the best options to get it home.

Ideally I need to find the least expensive yet safe way to ship something so large accross the country.

It would be good to get it into the hands of a BOL member sooner than later.

Perferrably someone that can hold it for a while. Possibly weeks or months.

I would think to the right person this could be fun. It is a rare windsurf board built by a local Martha's Vineyard company AND one of our members.

Pretty cool.

Bryan

I just got off the phone with Paul (seller) , he is leaving a week from Tuesday. He said he lives on the Island and could put it on the ferry (baggage cart) and it could be picked up on the ferry landing.

This of course would require some timing. I now have his phone number and

will be passing it along to anyone that can help. If not, I need to take a generous offer from a BOL member to hold the board on the Island over the winter. I really hate to have to wait until next spring. Thanks again. Bryan

Bummer.

If I don't have somewhere to have this delivered on Martha's Vineyard by Tuesday. It is a lost deal. Worth a try. Shame to loose this.

Tinkler Tail Sailboard from the 80s.

Need storage until it can be shipped via Freight shipper.

I'm sure you already looked into this but have you checked in with any of the public storage places to hold it till somebody can pick it up?

Or, how about calling a local surf shop in MV and having them ship it to you (or a BOL member who is closer) Might pay a premium, might be worthwhile. At least they should have experience packing and shipping boards.

The reason for my interest is that I was going to do a trip to Cape Cod which is now postponed. I would have gladly picked it up for you. It sucks that you are having problems with this.

Ken

I'm sure you already looked into this but have you checked in with any of the public storage places to hold it till somebody can pick it up?

Or, how about calling a local surf shop in MV and having them ship it to you (or a BOL member who is closer) Might pay a premium, might be worthwhile. At least they should have experience packing and shipping boards.

The reason for my interest is that I was going to do a trip to Cape Cod which is now postponed. I would have gladly picked it up for you. It sucks that you are having problems with this.

Ken

Thank you Ken. All good suggestions. I did reach out to a couple surf shops and a sail shop. Most did not even answer. It is "Off season" evidently.

The seller was leaving the country and I found a shipper that would hold it and the seller dropped it off on his way out of town!! Doesn't get much closer than that!!! Add to that the 3 hour time difference and limited access to a phone at work that day. It was nip and tuck.

It is not over yet. Now I need to see if I can get it home. It is too big for UPS. Thanks, Bryan

• 2 months later...

Update:

Almost ended up with this being left on the lawn as the seller moved out and back to Ireland. As he left the Island, he dropped it off at shipping company on the island. They stored it, then when they had enough items they trucked it across the USA. It was just delivered. Shipping was allot!! Saving an example of Mike's work on windsurfing gear from the 80s = PRICELESS!!!

So far I have learned that Selfin built the sailboard on the Island (Martha's Vineyard) shipped it to Mike in HI. He built the custom "Tinkler Tail" onto the board and shipped it back. It has Mike's penciled notes under the glass. "TT" number 2. I am looking forward to Mike seeing it again soon. Thanks to everyone that offered to help with this Quest!!

Bryan

post-198-141842361136_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842361141_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842361147_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Sweetness! Cool looking tail. What's the concept behind it?

If I remember rightly, the idea was that with your weight fairly far forward as when driving through a fast bottom-turn (like a toeside hardboot arc) you'd have the long gun-like tail for stability and flow. Slashing off the top or jumping, obviously with the weight further back, the tail would bend up and away, giving release similar to a short square tail. I had a few rides on a 9'4" slalom board set up with one of these, and enjoyed it. Didn't find it to be all that fast (mastfoot was set up too far forward, though) but very smoth.

Changes the flex in the tail in a similar way the split on a burner "feathers" or "rolls off" or "twists off" grip and energy.

That is my best guess. I know that there were numerous proto-types and these made many of the surf mags of the day*.

Hopefully we can get Mike to fill in details and concept info.

*Tinkler Tail was also used on surfboards.

post-198-141842361154_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842361158_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842361162_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Cool. Glad you managed to get your hands on it. Would've been a shame if it ended up just rotting away somewhere.

That is what I thought. I have known about them, seen some of the articles but never have I had been able to see one in person. I am curious how many have survived. Probably more of the surfboards than sailboards. I will keep looking!!

That is definitely an interesting concept...I wouldn't want to sink that rear-end to test the rigidity on shallow waters doing a duck jibe. I worry about burying some of my skegs...assume your planning on riding this or is it wall art?

I will probably not sail it. Although catching the fin is /would be the least of my problems. I only know deep water starts in the Gorge. I have never had the pleasure to "See the bottom", seldom ever felt it!! Only walking out from shore. It looks pretty brittle, it is definitely more of a wall hanger.

After Mike sees it, I might try to find some "Era Correct" fittings for it. May even ask him if he thinks a restoration is a good idea or not.